Just visited princeton, yale, columbia

In summary, the poster visited Princeton, Yale, and Columbia as part of their search for an undergraduate college. Out of the three, they found Princeton to be the most impressive, especially in terms of their interest in science and physics. Both Princeton and Yale had beautiful Gothic architecture, while Columbia was also cool but lacked enough green space due to its location in Manhattan. The poster is also considering other options in Boston for their spring break. In the conversation thread, other users discuss their experiences and opinions about these schools and share information about their strengths and weaknesses, such as MIT's reputation for engineering and applied physics, Dartmouth's strong athletic programs and outdoor activities, and Princeton's eating clubs instead of fraternities. There is also a discussion about the
brum
i just visited princeton, yale, and columbia (college undergrad searching)

princeton was the coolest of the three, i thought (and best suited my interest in science/physics)
both princeton and yale had amazing gothic architecture
columbia was cool too, but too compact and too little greenspace (as it is right in Manhattan)

just curious -- any comments about these places (or similar places)? I am also going to check out some places in boston (springbreak maybe)

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by brum
i just visited princeton, yale, and columbia (college undergrad searching)
Have you checked out Dartmouth if you want a nice campus? My ex was at Yale, then switched to Dartmouth because he thought the campus was prettier. I'm sure Princeton would be better for physics, though.

Yes, I'm same as you. I'm also searching for undergrad. I interested in Columbia, CalTech and Princeton. What do you think about MIT?

Originally posted by Red-Emotion
What do you think about MIT?

hmm... haven't visited there yet, but i will soon.

from what I've read, it looks like a great place to go, but still very difficult to get into (like all the other places i have listed above)

I heard that MIT is good for Engineering and applied Physics. Is it true? As for me, my concern is on Theoretical Physics so I don't think MIT is not suitable for me. What do you think?

Originally posted by Red-Emotion
I heard that MIT is good for Engineering and applied Physics. Is it true? As for me, my concern is on Theoretical Physics so I don't think MIT is not suitable for me. What do you think?
Well if you're doing theoretical physics (I am too!) are you planning on going for a PhD? Id save MIT for grad school, which is what I'm planning on doing.. though i'll need a miracle to get in, though I'm going to try to keep my GPA as high as possible :frown:

My brother went to princeton and loved it. However, unlike Yale or Columbia there isn't much to do outside of campus since it is located in the suburbs ( and my brother did not have a car.) He was a theoretical physics major. If you are a woman, it does have the higest rate of rapes on campus (not much lighting.) I went to Dartmouth, but I was not a physicist. I am very athletic and joined the ice hockey team and pretty much learned every winter sport there is and learned to kayak and rock climb. It's considered the "jock Ivey league". Many Olympic athletes have been produced by its undergraduate class, and two of my professors, one in microbiology and one in physiology, were ex olympians. Many of my collegues were biathletes, Iron Man triatheletes and two ascended Mount Everest. It has it's own skiing mountain for the students. The fraternities are wild at Dartmouth( Alpha Delt is where Animal House was based.) Howwever, if you don't like the outdoors, Hanover is a small, dinky (but cute) town with nothing much to do but drink and eat pizza. (Not that that isn't the life! )Princeton has eating clubs instead of fraternities. Not that that is important to me, since I hate fraternities. I spent some time at Yale for some post grad work but found the depressed economy of New Haven depressing. (It has the highest rate of infant mortality due to it's poverty rivalling some third world countries and it's right next to one of the best medical instituion!) So, once you are outside of the Yale campus, New Haven is gray, ugly and just not very nice. I worked out of Columbia at one point and Manhatten is wild! All the ones you mentioned have their pluses and minuses, just visit and see which one suits your goals and tastes...and provides the best financial aid of course.

Last edited:
Does anyone know which Ivy-League College is the safest?

Originally posted by recon
Does anyone know which Ivy-League College is the safest?

Princeton University.

(see this)

1. What is the difference between Princeton, Yale, and Columbia?

Each university has its own unique history, academic programs, and campus culture. Princeton University was founded in 1746 and is known for its undergraduate focus and strong programs in the humanities and social sciences. Yale University was founded in 1701 and has a strong emphasis on research and graduate education. Columbia University was founded in 1754 and is known for its diverse and highly ranked academic programs, including its renowned School of Journalism.

2. Which university has the strongest reputation?

This is a subjective question and can vary depending on the source and individual opinions. All three universities have strong reputations and are highly ranked in various categories. It is important to research and consider your own priorities and goals when choosing a university.

3. What is the campus atmosphere like at these universities?

The campus atmosphere can vary at each university and can also depend on individual experiences. Generally, Princeton has a more traditional and close-knit campus community, while Yale and Columbia have more diverse and bustling environments. It is important to visit each campus and get a feel for the atmosphere yourself.

4. Are these universities difficult to get into?

Yes, all three universities are highly selective and have competitive admissions processes. It is important to have a strong academic record, extracurricular involvement, and a compelling application to increase your chances of being admitted.

5. What makes these universities stand out among other institutions?

All three universities have a long history of academic excellence, renowned faculty, and a strong commitment to research and innovation. They also have strong alumni networks and opportunities for students to engage in various academic and extracurricular activities. Additionally, their locations in the Northeast make them prime locations for networking and career opportunities.