Justification for the acceptance of Coulomb's law

In summary, the conversation discusses Coulomb's first memoir on Electricity and Magnetism and the complaints about its experimental results. The question arises about the unquestionability of Coulomb's law and if it has been experimentally justified. The conversation also mentions the relationship between Gauss law and Coulomb's law and how it was arrived at. A work done in 1970 found that the law may be violated by a small exponential parameter, but further research showed that it is on the order of -13.
Vinay080
Gold Member
I read the Coulomb's first memoir on Electricity and Magnetism (Louis L. Bucciarelli english translated version), and found it to contain only three trials (as complained by many) to reach the conclusion of a 1/r2 equation for the force. And many seems to have also complained for not having able to get the same results. I read the recent papers of A.A Martinez and others who have tried to reproduce the experiment (the technical details went beyond so I couldn't complete).

What I want to know now is, what has made Coulomb's law unquestionable? Has the experimental justification for the law been given? What are the reasons for accepting it?

Or is the same equation been arrived theoretically (I have a feel for this)?

I have asked the same qeustion in other physics website to have faster clearance of problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have found the relation w.r.t Gauss law. Now the question is whether Gauss law was arrived with the help of Coulomb's law or with the help of experiment or with the help of other means?

Assuming the law to be violated by a small exponential parameter ##r^{-2+\epsilon}##, a work done in 1970 documented in https://www.princeton.edu/~romalis/PHYS312/Coulomb Ref/BartlettCoulomb.pdf found that ##|\epsilon|## to be on the order of -13. That paper also has a list of ##|\epsilon|##'s measured prior to their measurement (jump to the last paragraph before acknowledgment section).
Vinay080 said:
Now the question is whether Gauss law was arrived with the help of Coulomb's law or with the help of experiment or with the help of other means?
Gauss law is a consequence of the central nature of the inverse square law.

Last edited:
Likes Vinay080 and Dale
I'm not sure it's unquestionable, but it works well enough to be useful.

As r approaches zero, things go awry.

Likes Vinay080
SammyS said:
Unless I misread that paper, ##\ |\epsilon|\ ## is on the order of 10−13 .
Sorry, I think it was because old print effect. Upon 175% zooming in, I agree with you that it should have been 10-13.

What is Coulomb's law?

Coulomb's law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What evidence supports Coulomb's law?

There is a significant amount of evidence that supports Coulomb's law. This includes experiments that have measured the force between two charged particles at various distances, and have found that the force follows the predicted inverse square relationship. Additionally, Coulomb's law is consistent with other fundamental laws and principles in physics, such as the principle of superposition and the law of conservation of energy.

Why is Coulomb's law important?

Coulomb's law is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of charged particles, which are fundamental building blocks of matter. This law is also essential for explaining and describing various phenomena in electromagnetism, such as the behavior of electric fields and the motion of charged particles in an electric field.

How was Coulomb's law discovered?

Coulomb's law was discovered by French physicist Charles-Augustin de Coulomb in 1785. He conducted a series of experiments using a torsion balance to measure the force between two charged objects. Through his experiments, Coulomb was able to establish a quantitative relationship between the force, charge, and distance, which is now known as Coulomb's law.

Is Coulomb's law always accurate?

Like all scientific laws, Coulomb's law is a simplified representation of a complex phenomenon. It is accurate in most situations, but there are some cases where it may not hold, such as at very small distances or when dealing with moving charges. However, in most practical applications, Coulomb's law is a highly accurate and reliable tool for understanding the behavior of charged particles.