Is Gauss's Law Valid for Moving Charges?

In summary, the conversation discusses the validity of Coulomb's law and Gauss's law in relation to electromagnetism and moving charges. The speaker mentions that while Coulomb's law is usually introduced as an experimental result for static point charges, the books they have read only briefly mention the validity of Gauss's law for moving charges. The speaker asks if this is a result obtained from experiment or if it can be seen through theoretical argument. The conversation also touches on the validity of Maxwell's equations and the experimental verification of Gauss's law for a charge at rest. The speaker also brings up the relevance of Special Relativity and how it impacts the validity of Gauss's law for a charge in motion.
assed
I found in this forum an old thread regarding this topic, but as it didn't have (in my opinion) a satisfactory answer, I decided to open a new one.
Usually when one begins to study Electromagnetism, Coulomb's law in introduced as an experimental result valid for static point charges. From Coulomb's law, some books then derive Gauss's law. What has ben bothering me is that when it comes to electrodynamics, therefore with moving charges, the books (at least the ones I've read) only briefly mention that Gauss's law is still valid. I ask if someone here knows if this is a result primarily obtained from experiment ( and if so, when and who did it?) or it can be seen with a theoretical argument.
By the way, before someone suggests to apply the divergence to a calculated electric field of moving charges, I don't think it is reasonable, once these field are obtained as solutions to Maxwell's equations which include Gauss's law.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course, the validity of Maxwell's equations as a description of real phenomena cannot be mathematically proven. They provide a theory of such a description that is subject to empirical testing, i.e., you make predictions for observations from them and compare to (experimental) observations in nature. So far, we have no evidence that the Maxwell equations fail (within the boundaries of applicability of the classical-field-theory approximation to quantum electrodynamics). That's why we think that they are a valid description of electromagnetical phenomena.

Maxwell's equations, including div E=4 pi rho, are relativistically covariant.
Gauss's law is experimentally verified for a charge at rest.
If you accept Special Relativity, Gauss's law holds for a charge in motion.

What is Gauss law for moving charges?

Gauss law for moving charges is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the flux of the electric field through a closed surface to the total amount of charge enclosed by that surface.

How is Gauss law for moving charges different from regular Gauss law?

Gauss law for moving charges takes into account the movement of charges, while regular Gauss law only applies to stationary charges.

Can Gauss law for moving charges be applied to any moving charge distribution?

Yes, Gauss law for moving charges is a general law that can be applied to any moving charge distribution, regardless of its complexity.

Is Gauss law for moving charges a consequence of other laws, or is it a fundamental law?

Gauss law for moving charges is a fundamental law in electromagnetism and cannot be derived from other laws.

How is Gauss law for moving charges used in practical applications?

Gauss law for moving charges is used in various practical applications, such as designing electrical circuits, calculating the electric field from moving charges in accelerators, and understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves.