Kalman filter unstable in closed loop application

In summary, the Kalman filter, a widely used algorithm for state estimation, can become unstable in closed loop applications. This can occur due to incorrect tuning or modeling errors, leading to inaccurate and unreliable results. Careful attention must be paid to the system dynamics and noise characteristics to ensure the stability of the Kalman filter in closed loop applications.
RubelCa
I have implemented the closed-loop motor control system as above in a Matlab simulation (pic Kalman.png). Here, the Kalman filter estimates the torque disturbance and angular speed of the motor and those are feed to the RLS algorithm for parameter identification, here it estimates the combined inertia of the rotor and the load. I have successfully simulated it with a constant J feed to the Kalman filter (0.089 for example) instead of feeding estimated J back to the Kalman filter in pic (Kalman1.png), and the RLS parameter identification correctly estimates the inertia which is close to 0.089 (within 0~3% error band).But, when I feed the RLS estimated J to back to the Kalman filter after running for few seconds when the J estimate reaches close to 0.089, using an analog switch, the system becomes unstable and RLS outputs become 'nan'. I tried using an average block (avg of 100 samples) between the RLS and Kalman filter in the J feedback line and it seems to stabilize the system a bit but not for a long time. I guess there is a better way to achieve the following:1) Removing the average block

2) The J (estimated) connection between the RLS and the Kalman filter should be there from the beginning without the need of an analog switch.My control engineering knowledge is not advanced level so any suggestion of an idea, document or a book (application oriented) will be highly appreciated.

Attachments

• Kalman1.png
    Kalman1.png
    7 KB · Views: 549
  • Kalman.png
    Kalman.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 549
Engineering news on Phys.org

It is great to hear that you have successfully implemented a closed-loop motor control system using a combination of Kalman filter and RLS algorithm for parameter identification. However, it seems that you are facing some stability issues when feeding the RLS estimated inertia back to the Kalman filter.

Firstly, I would suggest checking the dynamics of your system and see if there are any inherent instabilities that may be causing the system to become unstable. It is important to ensure that your system is stable before implementing any control techniques.

Secondly, it is important to consider the sampling rate of your system and make sure that it is sufficient for the control algorithms to work effectively. If the sampling rate is too low, it may result in inaccurate estimates and unstable behavior.

In terms of your specific questions, I would suggest exploring other methods for filtering the estimated inertia before feeding it back to the Kalman filter. One suggestion could be using a low-pass filter with a cutoff frequency that is appropriate for your system. This could help to smooth out any sudden changes in the estimated inertia and improve stability.

Additionally, I would recommend looking into adaptive control techniques, which can handle parameter changes in real-time without the need for explicit parameter identification. This could potentially eliminate the need for feeding the estimated inertia back to the Kalman filter.

In terms of resources, I would suggest looking into textbooks on adaptive control, such as "Adaptive Control" by Karl J. Astrom and Bjorn Wittenmark, or "Adaptive Control: Algorithms, Analysis and Applications" by Ioan Doré Landau, Rogelio Lozano, and Mohammed M'Saad. These books provide a comprehensive overview of adaptive control techniques and their applications.

I hope this helps and wish you all the best in your research.

What is a Kalman filter and how does it work?

A Kalman filter is a mathematical algorithm that is used to estimate the state of a system based on noisy measurements. It works by combining predictions from a mathematical model of the system with measurements from sensors to produce a more accurate estimate of the system's state.

Why can a Kalman filter become unstable in a closed loop application?

A Kalman filter can become unstable in a closed loop application if the system being controlled is highly nonlinear or if the estimated state of the system is far from the true state. This can lead to the filter producing inaccurate and unreliable estimates, which can cause the system to become unstable.

How can the instability of a Kalman filter in a closed loop application be prevented?

There are several techniques that can be used to prevent the instability of a Kalman filter in a closed loop application. These include using a more accurate mathematical model of the system, incorporating more accurate measurements from sensors, and using techniques such as adaptive filtering or extended Kalman filtering to handle nonlinear systems.

What are the potential consequences of using an unstable Kalman filter in a closed loop application?

If a Kalman filter becomes unstable in a closed loop application, it can lead to incorrect estimates of the system's state. This can cause the system to behave unpredictably and can lead to safety hazards or financial losses. In some cases, it may also damage the system or its components.

Are there any other factors that can contribute to the instability of a Kalman filter in a closed loop application?

Yes, there are other factors that can contribute to the instability of a Kalman filter in a closed loop application. These include numerical errors, incorrect tuning of the filter or its parameters, and environmental factors such as sensor noise or disturbances in the system. It is important to carefully analyze and consider all these factors when implementing a Kalman filter in a closed loop application.