Keeping a subspace decoherence free, with the Zeno Effect

In summary, the quantum Zeno Effect prevents errors from accumulating by limiting the system to a specific subspace. This prevents environmental effects from decohering the system.
qwertuiop
I am currently reading papers discussing the Zeno Effect, which discuss how measuring a system at high frequencies can almost freeze the state of a system, or keep the system in a specific subspace of states. This can be easily seen using the projection postulate. Often the topic of decoherence comes up and how limiting the system to evolve in a specific subspace results in protection of information and prevents decoherence. Two things important for quantum computation. I understand that if the system is limited to a certain subspace probability leakage is limited too, protecting information. What I do not understand is how the the subspace is kept decoherence free. How does limiting the system to a specific subspace prevent decoherence?

Likes atyy
Physics news on Phys.org
Link to the papers you're reading.

Likes atyy
I'm guessing it's a combination of quantum error correcting codes and the zeno effect.

Suppose you can measure "is the system in the QEC subspace?" at a rate significantly higher than the time it takes for an error to accumulate. Since changing any individual qubit pushes the system out of the QEC subspace, and errors tend to happen to individual qubits (i.e. correlated errors are much less likely), the zeno effect caused by the continuous measurements will prevent errors from accumulating.

I'm not sure how practical that approach is. I assume errors can occur over very short time spans, so you'd have to be doing the complicated distributed measurement insanely fast. Also it might get in the way when you do want to operate on the state, since you can't ever stop measuring.

Likes atyy
http://arxiv.org/pdf/0903.3297v1.pdf

At the moment I'm not too concerned with the applications to Quantum Computation, rather the way in which general decoherence is prevented by restraining the system state to lie in a subspace.

According to this paper, the quantum Zeno Effect only works in some situations.
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Gershon_Kurizki/publication/2204834_The_Zeno_and_anti-Zeno_effects_on_decay_in_dissipative_quantum_systems/links/0046352b1b5bfe1fa0000000.pdf?inViewer=0&pdfJsDownload=0&origin=publication_detail

Last edited by a moderator:
http://arxiv.org/pdf/0903.3297v1.pdf

This paper discusses modelling a transition out of the wanted subspace as the onset of decoherence. I don't quite understand this model. Why does remaining in the subspace mean that coherence must be preserved? Surely environmental effects can decohere the system even if it stays in the subspace. I guess that's what I'm having trouble with, why decoherence is modeled as a transition out of the subspace.

1. What is the Zeno Effect?

The Zeno Effect, also known as the "watched pot never boils" effect, is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where repeatedly observing or measuring a quantum system can prevent it from changing or evolving. This is because the act of observation causes the system to collapse into a specific state.

2. How does the Zeno Effect relate to subspace decoherence?

Subspace decoherence is a process in which a quantum system gradually loses its coherence due to interactions with its environment. The Zeno Effect can help prevent this by constantly monitoring the system and preventing it from interacting with the environment, thus preserving its coherence.

3. Can the Zeno Effect be used to keep a subspace completely decoherence free?

No, the Zeno Effect can only slow down or delay the process of decoherence. It cannot completely prevent it. Additionally, the act of constantly monitoring the system can introduce other sources of decoherence.

4. Are there any practical applications for using the Zeno Effect to keep a subspace decoherence free?

Yes, the Zeno Effect has potential applications in quantum computing, where maintaining coherence is crucial for the correct functioning of quantum algorithms. It can also be used in quantum communication to ensure the secure transfer of information.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations in using the Zeno Effect to keep a subspace decoherence free?

One challenge is finding the right balance between observation and decoherence. Too much observation can actually speed up decoherence, while too little may not have a significant effect. Additionally, the Zeno Effect may not be feasible for large-scale quantum systems due to the resources and technology required for constant monitoring.