Keeping a wheel spinning using as little electrical energy as possible

In summary, the conversation discusses the most efficient method for keeping a wheel spinning using as little electrical energy as possible. The options suggested include using a regular motor, the principle of Walschaerts valve gear, and magnetism. The participants also consider the specific case of rotating while sitting on a chair and using a well-beared bicycle wheel. The conversation concludes by suggesting that a heavy flywheel could offset any potential losses in efficiency.
Laguna2
Hello.

This question has kept me up all night: What mechanism would keep a wheel spinning using as little electrical energy as possible?

Let's say we have a toy car (could be anything that involves a wheel) that is already in motion and moving with a constant velocity. What would you build to keep the wheels spinning at that velocity and uses as little electrical energy as possible? (It must be with electricity)

I have a few ideas but I have no idea which uses the least amount of electricity:

Using a regular motor to spin the wheel
http://www.scooter-tuning.com/variator3.jpg

Using the principal of Walschaerts valve gear using electricity instead of steam.
[PLAIN]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/08/Walschaerts_motion.gif

This is the tricky one: Using magnetism. Use electromagnets to give the wheel a 'kick' to keep it going. Make current run through the electromagnets at certain points to induce the kick and stop the current when not at that particular point (to save energy).

Which one would require the least amount of electricity? If you can think of any other method that would meet the criteria better please share :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Laguna2 said:
Let's say we have a toy car (could be anything that involves a wheel)
What is it makes a pretty important (actually - critical!) issue.
Your problem is to engineer the most efficient electric motor, feasible to use in your particular case. The solution will be quite different if your wheel is the London Eye, a hard disc for your laptop, a gyroscope stabilizing V1 missile, or gramophone.

Last edited:
I see... Let's take a case where I'm sitting on a chair holding the spinning wheel at arms length. I'm twisting the wheel so I will rotate on the chair. Now I just need the wheel to keep spinning to keep rotating.

What then would require the least amount of energy?

You use a well beared bicycle wheel for that purpose?

I may guess that small electric motor, like those used in toys, with appropriate transmission, might be quite efficient and easiest to implement solution.

I'm not concerned about it being easy to implement. I need the most efficient method of keeping that wheel spinning regardless of the contstruction.
That's also why I asked for other ideas :)

Laguna2 said:
I'm not concerned about it being easy to implement. I need the most efficient method of keeping that wheel spinning regardless of the contstruction.
That's also why I asked for other ideas :)

Well, in addition to whatever mechanism you use to spin it up, a heavy flywheel will offset much in the way of losses.

1. How can I keep a wheel spinning using as little electrical energy as possible?

There are a few ways to achieve this. One method is to use a low-friction bearing, such as a ceramic bearing, to reduce the amount of energy needed to overcome friction and keep the wheel spinning. Another option is to use a lightweight wheel with less mass, as this will require less energy to keep spinning.

2. Will using a smaller motor help conserve energy in keeping the wheel spinning?

Yes, using a smaller motor can help conserve energy. Smaller motors typically require less electricity to run and can be more efficient than larger motors. However, the size and efficiency of the motor will depend on the specific application and requirements of the wheel spinning.

3. Is there a specific type of energy source that is best for keeping a wheel spinning with minimal electrical energy?

There is no single best energy source for this purpose, as it will depend on various factors such as the size of the wheel, the desired speed and torque, and the available resources. Some potential energy sources include batteries, solar panels, or even human power.

4. Can regenerative braking be used to help conserve energy in keeping a wheel spinning?

Yes, regenerative braking can be an effective way to conserve energy in keeping a wheel spinning. This technology allows for the conversion of kinetic energy from the spinning wheel into electrical energy, which can be stored and used to power the wheel in the future.

5. Are there any trade-offs to consider when trying to keep a wheel spinning with minimal electrical energy?

There may be some trade-offs to consider, such as reduced speed or torque, in order to minimize the amount of electrical energy used to keep the wheel spinning. It is important to carefully balance these factors and consider the specific requirements and limitations of the application. Additionally, using alternative forms of energy, such as renewable sources, may have upfront costs or infrastructure requirements to consider.