Key equation with uniform acceleration and projectile motion

In summary, the conversation revolves around a new member seeking help in the kinematic chapter of physics. The key equation with uniform acceleration and projectile motion was mentioned, with a suggestion to treat the horizontal and vertical motion separately. The effect of increasing or decreasing a variable on the motion of the projectile was discussed, and it was stated that the angle of the shot has an optimum value for maximum distance.
Liszzy
<< Mentor Note -- thread moved from the New Member Introduction forum because of the general nature of the question >>

Hi guys, I'm Liszzy newly join physics group. How are you everyone? I'm doing my Canadian diploma in physics and need help from you guys. I've doubt in Kinematic chapter especially the key equation with uniform acceleration and projectile motion. Kindly please send me if there is any link or notes about kinematic topic for better understanding :) Thank you and have a wonderful day

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Liszzy, Which equation and what is your doubt? The key to understanding simple projectile motion is to treat the motion in the horizontal and vertical separately. The horizontal part is at constant velocity. The vertical part is at constant acceleration. Write two equations, one for each and then solve the simultaneous equations to find whichever parameter you need.

Likes Liszzy
Thanks for the explanation mate :) If you increase/decrease the variable what effect you think it will have on the motion of the projectile. Will the projectile go farther? Higher? Stay in the air longer? Is there an optimum value to make the projectile go as far as possible?

Likes sysprog
Which variable?

Liszzy said:
Thanks for the explanation mate :) If you increase/decrease the variable what effect you think it will have on the motion of the projectile. Will the projectile go farther? Higher? Stay in the air longer? Is there an optimum value to make the projectile go as far as possible?
There is, the angle of the shot. You can guess it's correct value, but better would be to prove it the way suggested.

Likes Liszzy
Liszzy said:
For a static planar non-sloped surface model with constant perpendicular gravity, and assuming less than escape velocity, launched projectiles, e.g. bolts shot from a crossbow, at 45° will travel the maximum distance, and at 90° (i.e. straight up) will go highest and stay in the air longest.

Likes Liszzy

1. What is the key equation for uniform acceleration?

The key equation for uniform acceleration is v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time elapsed.

2. How is this equation derived?

The equation is derived from the definition of acceleration, which is the rate of change of velocity over time. By rearranging the equation a = Δv / Δt to solve for v, we get the key equation v = u + at.

3. Can this equation be used for non-uniform acceleration?

No, this equation is specific to uniform acceleration, where the acceleration remains constant throughout the motion. For non-uniform acceleration, more complex equations such as s = ut + 1/2at^2 must be used.

4. How does this equation relate to projectile motion?

This equation can be applied to projectile motion in the x and y directions separately. In the x direction, the acceleration is usually assumed to be zero, resulting in the equation x = ut. In the y direction, the acceleration is due to gravity and the equation becomes y = ut - 1/2gt^2.

5. What are some real-world applications of this equation?

This equation is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the motion of objects under constant acceleration, such as cars, planes, and projectiles. It is also used in computer simulations for animations and video games.