Keyed serpentine pulley with a 5/8 bore to mount on a motor

In summary, the person is looking for a 3.0in to 4in OD pulley with 6 grooves that can be mounted on a motor shaft and tightened with a screw. They are having difficulty finding one and have resorted to using a 2.2in OD pulley from eBay, but it is too small and will not reach the desired RPM. They are also using a small bicycle wheel as a secondary pulley. Another person mentions the importance of checking center distances. The original person later explains how they solved their problem by purchasing an ordinary serpentine pulley and modifying it to fit their needs.
Blake Kopachena
It needs to be 3.0in to 4in OD, the belt which it will drive will have 6 grooves. It will be mounted on a motor shaft and there also has to be a way to tighten it with a screw securely. I am having a really hard time finding one, which is understandable since they are commonly used on automobiles, rather than motors.

I found a 2.2in OD pulley on ebay which VERY closely matches what I am looking for but... It's too small and the rpm on my secondary pulley will not be fast enough
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Craftsman-Ridgid-2-2-Inch-Diameter-Serpentine-Pulley-5-8-Bore-Aluminum-Alloy-/201021166566

My secondary pulley is actually a small bicycle wheel (16in) I found in a back alley. I know it's not proper, but I am trying to save money, a pulley of the same size is quite expensive. The whole goal to reduce the motor rpm to about 300-400RPM from 1725rpm. I am trying to avoid using lots of pulleys to obtain this rpm.

Could someone help me?

Thank you

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Make sure you check your center distances. The wrap angle on a 3 inch sheave will be potentially too small between it and a 16 inch wheel.

Did you ever find this? I need the same thing for a hydro pump!

I purchase an ordinary serpentine pulley with that diameter. Got a metal block smaller than the pulley, drilled a hole dead center of it with same diameter of motor shaft. I then proceeded to trill a small hole at the side for a bolt to be inserted and tightened. Finally I welded it onto the pulley after sticking both it and the pulley on motor shaft so they were perfectly aligned.

Related to Keyed serpentine pulley with a 5/8 bore to mount on a motor

1. What is a keyed serpentine pulley?

A keyed serpentine pulley is a type of pulley that has multiple grooves on its surface, resembling the shape of a snake. The grooves allow for multiple belts to be placed on the pulley, providing a larger surface area for power transmission.

2. What is the purpose of a keyed serpentine pulley?

The purpose of a keyed serpentine pulley is to transfer power from a motor to various accessories or components, such as a water pump or alternator. The multiple grooves on the pulley allow for more efficient power transmission compared to a single groove pulley.

3. What is the significance of a 5/8 bore in a keyed serpentine pulley?

A 5/8 bore refers to the diameter of the hole in the center of the pulley. This size is important because it determines the size of the shaft it can be mounted on. It is important to ensure that the bore size of the pulley matches the shaft size of the motor in order to ensure a proper fit and secure mounting.

4. How is a keyed serpentine pulley mounted on a motor?

A keyed serpentine pulley is typically mounted on a motor using a key and keyway system. The key is a small metal piece that fits into a slot on both the pulley and the motor shaft, ensuring that the pulley rotates with the shaft. The pulley is then secured onto the shaft with a set screw.

5. Can a keyed serpentine pulley be used on any type of motor?

Not necessarily. The size and type of motor will determine the compatibility of a keyed serpentine pulley. It is important to check the specifications of both the pulley and the motor to ensure they are compatible before attempting to mount the pulley on the motor.