Kid is good at math; too young for area to consider useful; Any suggestions

In summary, the conversation discussed ways to help a young child who shows early signs of being gifted and talented. Suggestions included utilizing drill, memorizing basic facts, teaching logic and writing skills, and potentially switching to a classical school or homeschooling. It was also advised not to push the child too hard and to allow them to still enjoy being a kid.
southpawdoesart
So, I already wrote this as a short story on another website... so I'll link this.

https://www.wattpad.com/553041235-short-stories-and-poems-just-after-that-last-proud

It's pretty simple. She's little. She's got talent. Knowledge takes time to acquire. Schools in the area don't care till she's in 5th grade or something, it seems. As she's in Kindergarten, that doesn't help much. Her first timed test was rather traumatizing, so standardized testing ain't likely to show much. Additionally, she 'plays the part' very well, so her teachers as a rule haven't seen what I see every week in the car.

My solution, the only solution I have, has been to find books to work with her a little each day. The school is doing their best, so it's not that I have any complaints, it's simply that I've got a lot of workbooks that say one thing, but living to the expectations of her age group says something different. My solution has been the only solution I have had the ability to do.

Does anyone here have any suggestions that might help? I would like to hear other's thoughts on this matter.

Science news on Phys.org
I have several suggestions:

1. Don't underestimate the value of drill. Naturally, it can be overdone, but most of the time, it's under-done.

2. If you read the book Why Don't Students Like School?, by Daniel T. Willingham, you'll find that experts in any subject matter have one universal characteristic: they can trot out the basic facts of their field instantly, with 100% correct recall, from long-term memory. They don't have to think about them - they're just nuts and bolts they can play with easily.

3. Your daughter is probably a sponge right now. That will likely change around middle school. But for now, memorizing the basic facts that all mathematicians need (see point 2 above) is actually enjoyable for her right now, and she's likely extremely good at it. So have her do that! You might ask, what should she memorize? Well, I've attached a sheet that'll take her all the way from arithmetic (including the Trachtenberg Speed System of Arithmetic taught in Switzerland with great success) to trig and statistics. No calculus yet, sorry. Probably take her a few years to memorize all that, but she's got plenty of time. You'd get it all done by middle school if you only memorized two items per week. Then, when she gets to those classes, she'll be uber-prepared. In fact, I defy anyone who memorizes this list to the point of 100% accurate, instant recall, to do poorly in high school math. She's got to get it to the point of not having to think about it. That's the whole point. If she has to think about it, it's already too slow.

View attachment 8002

4. In the middle school years, teach her logic: definition, informal fallacies, Aristotelian syllogisms, and at least one proof system - I'd recommend natural deduction such as is in Language, Proof, and Logic.

5. In high school, make sure she can write a good paper, present it, and debate. A high school thesis (research paper, 15-20 pages long, double-spaced) with defense is a great idea.

6. You might consider yanking her out of public school, if that's where she is, and getting her into a classical school, or homeschooling. Public schools have too many students to individualize the way your daughter needs, although truly great teachers (like Feynman's high school teacher) will recognize her and push her on, anyway. The problem is, there's no guarantee (really, in any school) she'll ever encounter a truly great teacher.

7. Is she into music? If not, you might consider seeing if she has some talent in that direction, and helping her along.

8. Don't push her too hard. What I've outlined above may seem like a lot, but spread it out over the 12 or so years you have, and it's very doable, without preventing her from just being a kid.

I think if you did all this, she'd take on the world.

Attachments

• MathematicsMemorizationLists.pdf
    262 KB · Views: 70
Thank you for all the input. I bookmarked both of those books, and I may get that The Trachtenberg Speed System of Basic Mathematics book next month. I don't know about the paper... writing is already her bane. If there was anything of reading, writing, and arithmetic she could take away without someone watching her, it would probably be writing. She is not fussing as much she once was though, so that's good.

Thank you again. I appreciate your thoughts and tips.

southpawdoesart said:
Thank you for all the input. I bookmarked both of those books, and I may get that The Trachtenberg Speed System of Basic Mathematics book next month. I don't know about the paper... writing is already her bane.

I wouldn't worry about writing ability all that much, yet. She needs to be able to do it well when she graduates from high school, but she doesn't have to be good at it now. Writing well requires certain faculties that aren't usually present in kids her age.

southpawdoesart said:
If there was anything of reading, writing, and arithmetic she could take away without someone watching her, it would probably be writing. She is not fussing as she once was though, so that's good.

Thank you again. I appreciate your thoughts and tips.

No problem! I wish you both well!

1. How can I tell if my child is good at math?

The best way to determine if your child is good at math is to observe their performance in math-related activities and assessments. Look for signs of strong problem-solving skills, a grasp of basic concepts, and a natural curiosity about numbers and patterns.

2. Can a child be too young for their math abilities to be considered useful?

While it is true that some mathematical concepts may be too advanced for very young children, this does not mean that their math abilities are not useful. Even at a young age, children can develop important skills such as counting, recognizing patterns, and understanding basic shapes.

3. What are some suggestions for nurturing a child's math abilities?

Encourage your child to play with numbers and patterns in everyday activities, such as counting objects or finding shapes in their environment. Use math-related games, puzzles, and books to make learning fun. Also, be patient and provide support when your child struggles with a math concept.

4. How can I help my child excel in math at a young age?

One way to help your child excel in math at a young age is to provide them with a strong foundation in basic math skills, such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication. Also, expose them to more challenging math concepts gradually and encourage them to think critically and creatively about problem-solving.

5. Are there any signs that my child may have a natural talent for math?

Some signs that your child may have a natural talent for math include a strong ability to visualize and manipulate numbers, a love for solving challenging problems, and an interest in learning more complex mathematical concepts. However, every child is unique, and it's important to support and encourage their individual interests and strengths.