Kinematics - can't find the initial velocity according to the image

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the initial velocity and final x position of a projectile launched from a 160m cliff at 37 degrees above the horizontal. It is suggested to use the position over time equation in the y direction and the motion equation in the x direction to solve for the two unknowns. Another approach is to split the problem into two parts, finding the initial speed first and then solving for x in the figure.
Physics_learner
Homework Statement
Kinematics - finding the initial velocity and final x position
Relevant Equations
x(t)=x0+v0*(t2-t1)+0.5a*(t2-2a)^2
v(t)=v0+a*(t2-t1)
I tried to write the data I understood from the image:
y0=160m
yf=0
x0=0
x1=192m
I tried to express the total change in time using the position over time equation on the Y direction:
y(t)=y0+v0y*(t2-t1)-0.5a(t2-t1)^2
but then I stuck with 2 variables and didn't know what to do

any help?

Attachments

• 1646077929948.png
    1646077929948.png
    4 KB · Views: 59
Physics news on Phys.org
Physics_learner said:
Homework Statement:: Kinematics - finding the initial velocity and final x position
Relevant Equations:: x(t)=x0+v0*(t2-t1)+0.5a*(t2-2a)^2
Welcome to PF.

It looks like you are on the right track, except you seem to have a typo in your last relevant equation (in the ##t^2## term). Can you fix that?

And you are taking the right approach, writing one equation for the motion in the y direction, and now you should add the 2nd equation which is for the motion in the x direction. Hint: the x-direction velocity does not slow down or change, if you neglect air resistance.

Then for your two equations, you use ## sin \theta ## and ## cos \theta ## appropriately to give you the components of the initial velocity in the two directions (y and x), and work on solving the two unknowns using the two equations. Does that help?

Likes Lnewqban
A different approach, which is perhaps conceptually easier to implement, is to split the problem in two parts. Note that when the projectile returns to the same height at the corner of the step, its speed is the same but the vertical component has changed direction and is down instead of up.

To find the initial speed ##v_0##, solve the problem "A projectile is fired at 37° above the horizontal and travels 192 m horizontally before it returns to the same height. Find the initial speed ##v_0##."

To find ##x## in the figure, solve the problem "A projectile is fired from the edge of a 160 m cliff at 37° below the horizontal. When it lands, it is horizontal distance ##x## from the edge. The initial speed is the same as in the previous problem. Find ##x##." (Don't forget that the final horizontal position is 192 + ##x~##meters.)

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What is initial velocity?

Initial velocity, also known as initial speed, is the velocity of an object at the beginning of its motion.

3. How is initial velocity calculated?

Initial velocity can be calculated using the equation v = d/t, where v is the initial velocity, d is the distance traveled, and t is the time taken.

4. Can initial velocity be negative?

Yes, initial velocity can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen positive direction. In this case, the negative sign indicates the direction of motion.

5. What should I do if I can't find the initial velocity according to the image?

If you are unable to find the initial velocity according to the image, you can try using other kinematic equations such as v = u + at or v^2 = u^2 + 2as. You can also try using more precise measurements or obtaining more information about the motion of the object.