Kinematics equations: Prove that a=vdv/ds

In summary: Cartesian components of v at time t. Then v is a function of x, y, and z and is constant along the vector v(t).
Crystal037
Homework Statement
Prove a=vdv/ds
Relevant Equations
V=dx/dt
a=dv/dt
We know that v=v(x, t) i.e. V is a function of time as well as space coordinate here I have only taken 1D motion for simplicity. By chain rule a=dv/dt= Dv/Dx*dx/dt +Dv/Dt*dt/dt where D /Dx represent partial differentiation along x coordinate.
So, a=Dv/Dx*dx/dt +Dv/Dt
Here we say that Dv/Dt=0 since we have taken displacement as constant
So a=Dv/Dx*dx/dt = Dv/Dx*v
But I am not getting what is v since velocity is constantly changing. How can we have a constant v

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Poster has been reminded not to post solutions to homework problems (the student must do the work)
##\vec a=\frac{d\vec v}{dt}=\frac{d\vec v}{ds}\frac{ds}{dt}## and ##ds=|\vec v|dt##

You are mixing up two situations.

The equation a=vdv/ds applies for a particle moving as a function of time. x=x(t), v=v(t). Yes, you can write v as a function of x, but only on the basis that the relation x=x(t) can be inverted. E.g. if x=f(t) and v=g(t) then t=f-1(x), so v=g(f-1(x)).

The equation ##\frac d{dz}f(x, y)=\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{dx}{dz}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dz}## applies where f is a function of two independent variables, x and y.
If you try to apply it to the particle trajectory equation as ##\frac d{dt}v(x, t)=\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}\frac{dx}{dt}+\frac{\partial v}{\partial t}\frac{dt}{dt}##, the two partial derivatives are meaningless since neither x nor t can change without the other.

Likes archaic
But then what is v vector. It's the velocity at what point since the velocity keeps changing
archaic said:
##\vec a=\frac{d\vec v}{dt}=\frac{d\vec v}{ds}\frac{ds}{dt}## and ##ds=|\vec v|dt##

Last edited:
Crystal037 said:
But then what is v vector. It's the velocity at what point since the velocity keeps changing
it is ##\vec v(t)## of a particle at ##\int\vec v(t)dt+\vec x_0##

So v(t) is the instantaneous velocity at t which corresponds to the coordinate
i.e. Integral of v(t) w.r.t to time +x

Crystal037 said:
So v(t) is the instantaneous velocity at t which corresponds to the coordinate
i.e. Integral of v(t) w.r.t to time +x
yes but we consider the integration constant to be 0

But v isn't constant

Crystal037 said:
But v isn't constant
yes i meant when you do then integral of v you will have x + c, that c is taken to be the initial position. but since i put the initial position vector outside, i mentioned that c shouldn't be considered.

Crystal037 said:
But v isn't constant
I should have written it in this form ##f(t)=(\int_{t_0}^t f'(\tau)d\tau)+f(t_0)=(f(t)-f(t_0))+f(t_0)##, which is basically the fundamental theorem of calculus. Apply it to your vector knowing that ##\vec v(t)=x'(t)\hat \imath+y'(t)\hat \jmath+z'(t)\hat k##

1. What is the equation for acceleration in kinematics?

The equation for acceleration in kinematics is a=dv/dt, where a is acceleration, v is velocity, and t is time.

2. How is the equation a=vdv/ds derived?

The equation a=vdv/ds is derived from the fundamental equation of kinematics, s=ut+1/2at^2, where s is displacement, u is initial velocity, a is acceleration, and t is time. By differentiating this equation with respect to time and substituting for v=dv/dt, the equation a=vdv/ds is obtained.

3. What does the equation a=vdv/ds represent?

The equation a=vdv/ds represents the relationship between acceleration, velocity, and displacement in a given system. It shows how acceleration changes with respect to changes in velocity and displacement.

4. Can this equation be used for any type of motion?

Yes, the equation a=vdv/ds can be used for any type of motion, as long as the acceleration, velocity, and displacement are all in the same direction.

5. How is this equation applied in real-life situations?

This equation can be applied in real-life situations where there is a change in velocity and displacement over time, such as in the motion of a falling object, a car accelerating or decelerating, or a projectile motion. It can also be used in designing and analyzing various mechanical systems.