Kinematics: Final velocity components

In summary, a skier leaves the ramp of a ski jump with a velocity of 10.9 m/s, 13.9° above the horizontal. The slope is inclined at 48.4° and air resistance is negligible. Using the equations d = vit + 0.5at^2, vf = vi + at, and vf^2 = vi^2 + ad, the total time the skier is in the air is found to be 2.965 seconds. To find the velocity components just before landing, the initial velocity is multiplied by sin 13.9° to find the vertical velocity and cos 13.9° to find the horizontal velocity. The time where the skier reaches their maximum height
huynhtn2

Homework Statement

A skier leaves the ramp of a ski jump with a velocity of 10.9 m/s, 13.9° above the horizontal. The slope is inclined at 48.4°, and air resistance is negligible. Calculate the velocity components just before the landing. Enter the x-component (horizontal) first and then the y-component (vertical).

Homework Equations

d=vit + 0.5at^2
vf=vi +at
vf^2=Vi^2 +ad

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a second part of the question. So previously i found the total time the skier was in the air which was 2.965 seconds. I took his initial velocity and did Vsintheta to find verical velocity, and Vcostheta to find the horizontal velocity. Then i found the time where the skier reached his max height by using vf=vi +at and multiplied this time by 2.

Then i subtracted this time by the total time to see the time that he will accelerate down. I added the vertical velocity with the acceleration times the time accelerating to find the final velocity. But in the end it was wrong. What did i do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
huynhtn2 said:
The slope is inclined at 48.4°
Do you mean that the slope is declined at 48.4[itex]^\circ[/tex] (or that the slope falls at an angle of 48.4[itex]^\circ[/tex] below horizontal)?

Or, is the skier truly jumping onto an uphill slope?

Heres a picture of it:

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 353
zgozvrm said:
Do you mean that the slope is declined at 48.4[itex]^\circ[/tex] (or that the slope falls at an angle of 48.4[itex]^\circ[/tex] below horizontal)?

Or, is the skier truly jumping onto an uphill slope?

Here is a picture of it:

Your approach seems to be correct, but it's possible that there was a mistake in your calculations or in the values you used for the initial velocity and angles. It's important to double check all of your numbers and make sure they are accurate. Additionally, you may want to consider using the equations for projectile motion, as the skier is essentially following a parabolic path. This may provide a more accurate and efficient solution.

Related to Kinematics: Final velocity components

1. What is final velocity in kinematics?

Final velocity in kinematics refers to the speed and direction of an object at the end of a given motion. It is the result of an object's acceleration and initial velocity.

2. How is final velocity calculated in kinematics?

Final velocity can be calculated using the equation Vf = Vi + at, where Vf is the final velocity, Vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time elapsed.

3. What are the components of final velocity in kinematics?

The components of final velocity in kinematics are the magnitude (speed) and direction of the velocity. These components can be represented by the x- and y-components of the velocity vector.

4. How does acceleration affect final velocity in kinematics?

Acceleration directly affects the final velocity in kinematics. The greater the acceleration, the faster the final velocity will be. If the acceleration is in the opposite direction of the initial velocity, it will cause the final velocity to decrease.

5. Can final velocity in kinematics ever be negative?

Yes, final velocity in kinematics can be negative if the object's initial velocity is in the opposite direction of its acceleration. This indicates that the object is slowing down or changing direction.