Kinematics: find maximum height

In summary, a rocket takes off and accelerates upwards at 29.4 m/s^2 before running out of fuel. To find the maximum height, we can use the formula vf2 = vi2 + 2ad to determine that the rocket reaches a height of 0 before falling back to Earth. To calculate the velocity at the instant before it crashes, we can use the kinematic equation vf=vi+at and set vf to 0 to determine that the rocket's velocity is also 0 at this point. To find the maximum height, we can use the formula U=m*g*h, where U is the potential energy, m is the mass of the rocket, g is the
LifeMushroom

Homework Statement

A rocket takes off from the launch pad and moves directly upward with an acceleration of 29.4 m/s2. It runs out of fuel after 4s and continues to coast upward, reaching a maximum height before falling back down to Earth.

a) Find the rocket's maximum height.
b) What is the velocity the instant before the rocket crashes back to the ground?

Homework Equations

d = vi*t + (1/2)at2
vf2 = vi2 + 2ad
vf = vi+at
a = v/t

The Attempt at a Solution

Maximum height is when the final velocity is zero, so:
vf = 0 m/s, vi = 0m/s, a = 29.4 m/s^2

Using vf2 = vi2 + 2ad
0 = 0 + 2*29.4d
0 = 58.8d
d = 0

a) I tried a=v/t and get a time of zero when rearranging it as well. This doesn't make any sense, how is the time zero and distance 0 at maximum height? I know this is likely meaning d and t = 0 at the beginning of the flight, but how can I find the max height?

b) This sounds like instantaneous velocity or something, but I searched up the formula and it requires calculus, and our class isn't supposed to have calc in it. So I assume I have to use a kinematic equation, but I'm not sure which (either vf2 = vi2+2ad or vf=vi+at)...

Physics news on Phys.org
First, draw a picture of the rocket's trajectory. Label all of the important points with height, acceleration, velocity and time. So for example, at time ##t=0##, ##h=0##, ##a=29.4##, and ##v = 0##. How about at time ##t=4##. (Hint: ##h = h_4##, . . .). You also need to do this when the height is at a maximum, and when the rocket hits the ground. If you don't know the values of ##t##, ##h##, ##a##, and ##v##, just put labels on them (##h=h_{max}## at the maximum height, for example). Then write your equations.

After you have calculated the velocity at t=4s, I think is better calculate the height using energy with the Newton's formula: ##U=-G\frac{M·m}{R}## , (##m## cancels in the calculation), because we don't know if with these velocity g is a constant during all the trajectory.
Also for the go back.
Edit.
I have calculated the initial velocity afther the acceleration and perhaps you can use the simplify formula for potential energy ##U=m·g·h##

Last edited:

What is kinematics?

Kinematics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without taking into account the forces causing the motion. It focuses on describing the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects.

How do you calculate maximum height in kinematics?

To calculate the maximum height in kinematics, you can use the equation h = u2sin2(θ)/2g, where h is the maximum height, u is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. Alternatively, you can use the equation h = (vy^2 - uy^2)/2g, where vy is the final vertical velocity and uy is the initial vertical velocity.

What is the difference between maximum height and maximum height reached?

Maximum height refers to the highest point that an object reaches during its motion, while maximum height reached refers to the distance between the starting point and the highest point. In other words, maximum height reached is the displacement in the vertical direction.

Can an object have multiple maximum heights?

No, an object can have only one maximum height. This is because the maximum height is determined by the initial velocity, angle of projection, and acceleration due to gravity, which are constant values for a specific motion. Therefore, an object will reach the same maximum height every time it follows the same trajectory.

How does air resistance affect the calculation of maximum height?

Air resistance can affect the calculation of maximum height by reducing the vertical velocity of the object. This means that the object will not reach the same maximum height as it would without air resistance. Therefore, the equations used to calculate maximum height in kinematics assume that air resistance is negligible.