Kinematics:Interpreting graphs and deriving equations(Check my solutions please)

In summary, the conversation discusses Marian throwing a flowerpot from her balcony at 2.1 m/s and it takes 3 seconds to hit the ground. The equations used are Δd=V1Δt + 1/2 aΔt^2, V2=V1+aΔt, and Δd=V1Δt - 1/2 aΔt^2. It is suggested to always use the first equation and the third equation is used for upward motions. The solutions for both questions are deemed correct.
supernova1203

Homework Statement

Marian who is standing on her balcony is surprised by a pigeon, and throws a flowerpot up, in the air at 2.1 m/s. It takes a total of 3 s for the flowerpot to smash to the ground. The flowerpot experiences acceleration due to gravity of 9.8m/s

a) How high is Marians balcony?
b)How fast was the flowerpot moving just before it smashed into the ground?

Homework Equations

Δd=V1Δt + 1/2 aΔt^2

V2=V1+aΔt

Δd=V1Δt - 1/2 aΔt^2
(By the way id like to know what this third equation is for, when is it appropriate to use it? I know when to use it when i see a v-t graph and am required to find displacement, and geometrically there are 2 objects in graph, i have to find area, of one and to do so would require me to subtract the area from other geometrical object, in such a scenario i would use the 3rd equation, but if the quest is in written word problem format, i don't know when to use the 3rd formula.)

The Attempt at a Solution

a) v=2.1m/s

Δt=3 s

a=-9.8m/s

Δd=V1Δt + 1/2 aΔt^2

=(2.1)(3)+1/2(-9.81)(3)^2

=6.3+1/2(-9.81)(9)

=6.3+1/2-88.79

=6.3-44.14

Δd=-37.82m

b) v1=2.1m/s

Δt=3s

a=-9.8m/s

v2=v1+aΔt

=2.1+(-9.8)(3)

V2=-27.3 m/s

Do these answers/solutions make sense?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi supernova1203! :wink:

yes that all looks fine :smile:
supernova1203 said:
Δd=V1Δt + 1/2 aΔt^2

V2=V1+aΔt

Δd=V1Δt - 1/2 aΔt^2
(By the way id like to know what this third equation is for, when is it appropriate to use it? …

my recommendation is that you should always use the first one, if necessary of course using a negative number for a

as far as i know the 3rd equation is used for upward motions to make it a bit easy cause others usually forget to use a negative sign for the magnitude or amount for "a" when using the 1st equation that you stated earlier :]

so i think its better to use the 3rd one when you know it the object is thrown upwards or something. to just substitute it directly though it may be confusing at times but you'll get used to it.

and yes they are all fine :)

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It involves concepts such as position, velocity, acceleration, and time.

2. What is the importance of interpreting graphs in kinematics?

Interpreting graphs in kinematics allows us to visually understand the motion of an object and determine important characteristics such as its position, velocity, and acceleration at different points in time. It also helps us identify patterns and relationships between these quantities, which can aid in making predictions about future motion.

3. How do you interpret a position vs. time graph?

A position vs. time graph shows the change in an object's position over time. The slope of the graph represents the object's velocity, as it is the rate of change of position. The steeper the slope, the greater the velocity. The object's position can also be determined by finding the y-intercept, which represents the starting position. The area under the graph represents the displacement of the object.

4. How do you derive equations from a velocity vs. time graph?

A velocity vs. time graph shows the change in an object's velocity over time. The slope of the graph represents the object's acceleration, as it is the rate of change of velocity. To derive equations from this graph, you can use the slope-intercept form (y=mx+b) to find the equation for velocity (y) as a function of time (x). The slope (m) represents the acceleration, and the y-intercept (b) represents the initial velocity.

5. How can we use kinematics equations to solve real-world problems?

Kinematics equations can be used to solve real-world problems by using the given information about an object's motion (such as initial velocity, acceleration, and time) to find the missing variable. These equations can also be used to make predictions about an object's future motion, as long as the acceleration remains constant. This can be applied to various scenarios, such as calculating the time it takes for a car to reach a certain distance, or determining the maximum height of a projectile.