Kinematics plus a little extra

In summary, the conversation discusses whether it is possible to calculate the size of a splash made by a rock thrown from a bridge, and what factors might affect the size of the splash. The suggested solution involves using kinematics equations and considering the size and shape of the rock. A resource is also mentioned that explores the physics behind cannonball splashes.
Entr0py

Homework Statement

I was wondering that, if you are standing above a bridge with a height h and throw a rock in your hand with mass m and initial velocity v naught of 0, could you calculate how big of a splash said rock makes when it hits the water?

Homework Equations

Not sure, I'm guessing kinematics equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well maybe I could plug in values for mass, initial velocity, final velocity, acceleration. But I don't know if it's possible to find how big (what is the radius) of the splash the rock creates.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you think the size and shape of the rock might be relevant?

Of course, and thanks for pointing that out. Let's say the rock is a perfect sphere and what do you mean by its size? Its mass, length, volume?

Entr0py said:
Of course, and thanks for pointing that out. Let's say the rock is a perfect sphere and what do you mean by its size? Its mass, length, volume?

By "size" I mean how big it is.

Let's say it's x meters tall.

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the study of motion, specifically the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects without considering the forces that may be causing the motion.

2. How does kinematics relate to mechanics?

Kinematics is a branch of mechanics, which is the study of motion and the forces that cause it. Kinematics focuses on the motion itself, while mechanics also considers the forces involved.

3. What is the difference between linear and angular kinematics?

Linear kinematics deals with motion in a straight line, while angular kinematics deals with motion along a curved path or rotation.

4. What is the equation for calculating velocity in kinematics?

The equation for velocity in kinematics is v = Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is change in position, and Δt is change in time.

5. How is kinematics used in real-world applications?

Kinematics is used in many real-world applications, such as designing vehicles, understanding the movement of planets and other celestial bodies, and analyzing the motion of athletes in sports. It is also used in fields such as robotics, animation, and video game development.