Kinematics Problem with Rockets

In summary, the conversation discusses a model for a rocket launched from the Earth's surface and its position measured from the center of the Earth. The better expression for the rocket's position is given by Y(t)=(RE3/2+3(√g/2)REt)2/3, where RE is the radius of the Earth and g is the acceleration due to gravity near the Earth's surface. The conversation also mentions finding Vy(t) and ay(t) using variables, not numerical values, and determining t when y=4RE. Lastly, it discusses finding V and a at t = y @ 4RE. The expert advises that there may be different ways to simplify the expressions and suggests revisiting the second derivative
Minestra

Homework Statement

In Example 2.6, we considered a simple model for a rocket launched from the surface of the Earth. A better expression for a rocket's position measured from the center of the Earth is given by
Y(t)=(RE3/2+3(√g/2)REt)2/3
where RE is the radius of the Earth (6.38 ✕ 106 m) and g is the constant acceleration of an object in free fall near the Earth's surface (9.81 m/s2).

Find Vy(t) and ay(t) using variables not numerical values.

Then what is t when y=4RE
Lastly find V and a at t = y @ 4RE2. The attempt at a solution
Naturally I found the first and second derivative of Y(t), which were not accepted by webassign (not correct nor incorrect). Then being stumped by that I decided to find t when y = 4RE, which also gave me an incorrect answer.

I got Y'(t)=2/3(RE3/2+3√(g/2)REt)(-1/3)(3√(g/2)RE
Y"(t)=-2/9(RE3/2+3√(g/2)REt)(-4/3)(3√(g/2)RE

I also found a t value of 9.5947 when y = 4RE, this was found by just plugging in all the values in Y(t).

I know I just posted a problem a day or to ago, but I've been beaten by this one aswell. Any advice on how to go about this would be a great help. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
In your Y(t) equation, is the 'g' term: ##\frac{\sqrt{g}}{2}## or ##\sqrt{\frac{g}{2}}## ?

gneill said:
In your Y(t) equation, is the 'g' term: ##\frac{\sqrt{g}}{2}## or ##\sqrt{\frac{g}{2}}## ?

##\sqrt{\frac{g}{2}}##

Sorry I'm still figuring out formatting on here.

Your first derivative looks okay to me. Unfortunately. with complex expressions like this there are usually several ways to "simplify" it, and webassign may not recognize the one you've reached. It looks to me that the 3's in your expression could cancel, for example.

I can't seem to make your second derivative match what I find. So maybe you'll need to revisit that.

You'll have to show how you arrived at t = 9.5947 s for y = 4RE. When I plug in that value for t I get just over 1 RE.

1. What is kinematics and how does it relate to rockets?

Kinematics is the study of motion and its parameters such as position, velocity, and acceleration. In the context of rockets, kinematics is used to analyze and predict the motion of a rocket as it travels through the air and into space.

2. What are the key equations used in solving kinematics problems with rockets?

The key equations used in solving kinematics problems with rockets are the equations of motion: v = u + at, s = ut + 1/2at^2, and v^2 = u^2 + 2as. Here, v represents velocity, u represents initial velocity, a represents acceleration, t represents time, and s represents displacement.

3. How does air resistance affect the kinematics of a rocket?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly impact the kinematics of a rocket. As the rocket moves through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion. This force can decrease the rocket's acceleration and velocity, and ultimately affect its trajectory.

4. How can we calculate the maximum height and distance reached by a rocket?

To calculate the maximum height and distance reached by a rocket, we can use the kinematic equations and input the initial conditions of the rocket, such as its initial velocity and angle of launch. We can also take into account external factors such as air resistance, wind, and gravity to get a more accurate prediction.

5. How does the mass of the rocket affect its kinematics?

The mass of the rocket does not directly affect its kinematics, but it does play a role in determining the amount of force needed to accelerate the rocket and the amount of air resistance it experiences. A heavier rocket will require more force to accelerate and may experience more drag, which can affect its kinematics.