Kinematics Question on falling rock

In summary, a rock is thrown from a 30m cliff, rises 10m, and then falls to the base of the cliff. The displacement is determined by the object's initial and final positions.
Riju

Homework Statement

A rock is thrown straight upward from the edge of a 30m cliff, rising 10m, then falling all the way down the base of the cliff.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, because the rock was thrown 10m up, and then it came all the way down, I added those quantities (10m+30m) so I got 40m. But since the displacement is the object's initial position to its final position, regardless of the path actually taken, would I have to count the rock before it was thrown? Then the answer would be 30m

Physics news on Phys.org
Riju said:

Homework Statement

A rock is thrown straight upward from the edge of a 30m cliff, rising 10m, then falling all the way down the base of the cliff.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, because the rock was thrown 10m up, and then it came all the way down, I added those quantities (10m+30m) so I got 40m. But since the displacement is the object's initial position to its final position, regardless of the path actually taken, would I have to count the rock before it was thrown? Then the answer would be 30m[/B]
You haven't stated what question you are asked.

What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the cause of the motion.

How is kinematics used in studying falling rocks?

Kinematics is used to analyze the motion of falling rocks by considering factors such as the initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, and the position of the rock at different points in time.

What is the difference between velocity and acceleration?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position over time, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time.

How does the mass of a falling rock affect its motion?

The mass of a falling rock does not affect its motion, as all objects experience the same acceleration due to gravity regardless of their mass.

Can kinematics be used to predict the exact path of a falling rock?

No, kinematics can only predict the general motion of a falling rock, as factors such as air resistance and irregularities in the rock's shape and density can affect its path.