Kinetic and work kinteic energy question HELP

In summary, the problem involves a 2100kg pile driver driving a steel I-beam into the ground. The pile driver falls 5.00m before coming into contact with the top of the beam and then drives the beam 12cm farther into the ground as it comes to rest. Using energy considerations, the average force exerted by the beam on the pile driver while it is brought to rest is calculated. The equation used is W=F*d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance. The correct equation to use is W_ext = E_f - E_i, where E is the total of kinetic and potential energy. To solve the problem, the initial and final energies of the system need to be
urgent

Homework Statement

A 2100kg pile driver is used to drive a steel I-beam into the ground. the pile driver falls 5.00m before coming into contact with the top of the beam. then it drives the beam 12cm farther into the ground as it comes to rest. using energy considerations calculate the average force
the beam exerts on the pile priver while the pile driver is brought to rest.

Homework Equations

F=mgh

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b
i did...
2100*9.8*5
=102900/0.12
=857kN
i don't know what i am doing wrong as the answer is 878kN..im pretty close but not exact. anyone can please show me the steps on how to solve it properly. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
urgent said:
F=mgh
That equation is not correct, as you would see if you check the units on it.

What equation do you know that relates force and energy?

umm W=F*d and W=Ki-Kf..dat relates force and energy?

Yep, that works, except that you have the order of terms switched in the second of those equations.

Although this problem, like most energy problems, is easier if you use
[tex]W_\text{ext} = E_f - E_i[/tex]
where E is the total of kinetic and potential energy.

Give it a try and see what you can come up with.

umm the main problem in this question i am getting is that how can i calculate work without force or force without work? i don't know how to find both of them out, like if 1 more unit number was given either work or force then i would have been able to solve it..

You're trying to find force. To do that you need work. But you have an equation that allows you to calculate work, given in my previous post.

To calculate the work, the equation says, you need initial energy and you need final energy. So:

1. What is the initial energy of the system? Remember to consider both kinetic and potential energy.
2. What is the final energy of the system? Again, remember to consider both kinetic and potential energy.

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on the mass and velocity of the object, and is defined by the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass and v is the velocity.

2. How is kinetic energy different from potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state. Kinetic energy can be converted into potential energy, and vice versa, but they are not the same thing.

3. What are some real-life examples of kinetic energy?

Some examples of kinetic energy in everyday life include a moving car, a person running, a rolling ball, or a swinging pendulum. Basically, any object that is in motion has kinetic energy.

4. How is work related to kinetic energy?

Work is related to kinetic energy through the work-energy theorem, which states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In other words, when work is done on an object, its kinetic energy changes.

5. How can I calculate the kinetic energy of an object?

To calculate the kinetic energy of an object, you need to know its mass and velocity. You can use the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass in kilograms and v is the velocity in meters per second. Make sure to use consistent units when plugging in values.