Kinetic Energy of a flat uniform disk

The equation for kinetic energy is K=.5mv^2, where m is the mass and v is the velocity. In this case, the mass is 10 kg and the velocity is 12 m/s. The equation for rotational energy, or moment of inertia, is I=1/2mr^2, where m is the mass and r is the radius. In this case, the radius is 1.5 m. So, in summary, the kinetic energy of the disk is equal to the sum of its translational and rotational energies, which can be calculated using the given mass, radius, and velocity.
themilkman

Homework Statement

A flat, uniform, disk, of radius 1.5 m and mass 10 kg, is rolling on its edge with a translational velocity of 12 m/s.
What is the kinetic energy of the disk?

Homework Equations

not sure which one but I'm guessing it's one of these two:
K = .5(I)(w)^2
K = .5(Icm)(w)^2 + .5(M)(v)^2cm

The Attempt at a Solution

I have absolutely no idea how to even start this problem, any help on what eqn to use and what I is would be extremely helpful

Physics news on Phys.org
For a rolling object - the total energy is the kinetic energy of the moving mass PLUS the rotational energy.

I would first clarify the problem by asking for more information. Specifically, I would ask for the moment of inertia (I) of the disk, which is needed to calculate its kinetic energy. The moment of inertia depends on the shape and mass distribution of the object, so it cannot be determined without this information.

Once the moment of inertia is known, the first equation you listed (K = .5(I)(w)^2) can be used to calculate the kinetic energy of the disk. In this case, the angular velocity (w) can be calculated using the relation w = v/r, where v is the translational velocity and r is the radius of the disk.

Alternatively, the second equation (K = .5(Icm)(w)^2 + .5(M)(v)^2cm) can also be used. This equation takes into account both the rotational and translational kinetic energy of the disk, where Icm is the moment of inertia about the center of mass and vcm is the velocity of the center of mass.

In summary, to solve this problem, we need to know the moment of inertia of the disk and use one of the above equations to calculate its kinetic energy. Without this information, it is not possible to provide a specific answer.

Related to Kinetic Energy of a flat uniform disk

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on the mass and velocity of the object.

How is kinetic energy calculated for a flat uniform disk?

The kinetic energy of a flat uniform disk can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * I * w^2, where KE is the kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia, and w is the angular velocity.

What is the moment of inertia of a flat uniform disk?

The moment of inertia of a flat uniform disk is a measure of its resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is calculated using the formula I = 1/2 * m * r^2, where m is the mass of the disk and r is the radius.

Does the kinetic energy of a flat uniform disk change with its radius or mass?

Yes, the kinetic energy of a flat uniform disk is directly proportional to its mass and the square of its radius. This means that increasing the mass or radius of the disk will also increase its kinetic energy.

How is the kinetic energy of a flat uniform disk affected by friction or air resistance?

Friction and air resistance can cause the kinetic energy of a flat uniform disk to decrease over time. This is because these forces act against the motion of the disk, causing it to slow down and lose energy.