Kinetic energy of nuclear reaction

In summary, the reaction B10(n,alpha)Li7, Q=2.79Mev results in the production of two fragments, He4 and Li7, which are directed away from the compound nucleus and form one straight track. The initial kinetic energy of He4 is 1.47 MeV and the initial kinetic energy of Li7 is 0.84 MeV. To estimate the ratio of specific ionization produced by the two fragments, we use the equation dE/dS= (4πZ2e4/moV2)NZ ln2moV2/I, where Z is the atomic number, N is the number of atoms, e is the elementary charge, mo is the electron mass, V is the
jackjoo87
reaction B10(n,alpha)Li7, Q=2.79Mev. the He4 and Li7 are oppositely directed away from the site of the compound nucleus and form one straight track.
a) what is the initial kinetic energy (KE) of He4?
b) what is the initial KE of Li7 nucleus?
c) estimate the ratio of the specific ionization produced by the 2 fragments, if the geometric-mean excitation potential of the medium is I= 100eV

my work:
a) & b)(Ek)gamma + (Ek)Li + (Ek)alpha = 0.48 MeV + 0.84 MeV + 1.47 MeV= 2.79 Mev but i don't know how the energy is distributed.
c) By using dE/dS= (4πZ2e4/moV2)NZ ln2moV2/I

(question from R. D. Evans. The Atomic Nucleus. page 646 problem 1)

Specific ionization= stopping power

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please show your work.

1. What is the definition of kinetic energy in a nuclear reaction?

Kinetic energy in a nuclear reaction is the energy that is released when atomic nuclei collide and undergo a nuclear reaction. This energy is in the form of movement and is carried by the fragments of the nuclei after the reaction.

2. How is the kinetic energy of a nuclear reaction calculated?

The kinetic energy of a nuclear reaction is calculated by using the equation E=mc², where E is the energy, m is the mass and c is the speed of light. This equation is based on Einstein's theory of relativity and shows the relationship between mass and energy.

3. What factors affect the kinetic energy of a nuclear reaction?

The kinetic energy of a nuclear reaction is affected by several factors, including the type of nuclei involved, the amount of mass converted into energy, and the speed at which the nuclei collide. The energy released in a nuclear reaction also depends on the stability of the nuclei involved.

4. How does the kinetic energy of a nuclear reaction compare to other forms of energy?

The kinetic energy of a nuclear reaction is much greater than other forms of energy, such as chemical or thermal energy. This is because nuclear reactions involve the conversion of a small amount of mass into a large amount of energy, according to the famous equation E=mc².

5. Can the kinetic energy of a nuclear reaction be harnessed for practical use?

Yes, the kinetic energy of nuclear reactions can be harnessed for practical use in nuclear power plants, where the heat produced by the reaction is used to generate electricity. This process is known as nuclear fission and is currently used to generate about 11% of the world's electricity.