Kinetic Energy of Rotating Water Molecule

In summary, when calculating the kinetic energy of a rotating water molecule, you first use parameters from the vibrationally averaged structure and then calculate the elements of the inertial tensor. If you are lucky, one or more of the moments are the same, in which case you can just use a convenient analytical formula to calculate your energy. However, water is an asymmetric top, so solving for its rotational energy levels is non-trivial.
dgreenheck
When calculating the kinetic energy of a rotating water molecule (translational and vibrational motion not important here), am I correct in assuming that you do all the calculations from the center of mass and analyze each axis of rotation (x,y,z)? The bent geometry is throwing me off! Any molecule would rotate about its center of mass wouldn't it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I BELIEVE you are correct. But I don't really know. I couldn't really see a molecule rotating around anything but it's center of mass.

dgreenheck said:
When calculating the kinetic energy of a rotating water molecule (translational and vibrational motion not important here), am I correct in assuming that you do all the calculations from the center of mass and analyze each axis of rotation (x,y,z)? The bent geometry is throwing me off! Any molecule would rotate about its center of mass wouldn't it?

Well, a single water molecule rotating in free space has only kinetic energy (if you ignore vibration), so the rotational kinetic energy is simply the energy of the quantum rotational state that the molecule happens to be in.

You are correct that you begin the analysis by using parameters from the vibrationally averaged structure (bond length of O-H bonds and H-O-H bond angle), and then calculate the elements of the inertial tensor. Diagonalizing the inertial tensor gives you the moments of inertia around the three principal axes, as you surmised. If you are lucky, one or more of the moments are the same, in which case you can just use a convenient analytical formula to calculate your energy. However, water is an asymmetric top (all three moments are different), so solving for its rotational energy levels is non-trivial, but fairly straightforward. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotational_spectroscopy" .

With a little searching, you can probably find highly-accurate tabulated values for the water rotational energy levels online (you can certainly find them in the academic literature). If you want to calculate the levels, and you have specific questions, I may be able to help you further. The simple model I laid out above is called the rigid rotor model, and is only an approximation .. several additional considerations (e.g. centrifugal distortion, Coriolis coupling, nuclear hyperfine coupling, etc.) may need to be accounted for in accurate work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Spinnor

Related to Kinetic Energy of Rotating Water Molecule

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on the mass and velocity of the object.

How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy can be calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

How does a rotating water molecule have kinetic energy?

A rotating water molecule has kinetic energy because it is constantly in motion. The rotation of the molecule causes its atoms to move and collide with each other, resulting in kinetic energy.

What factors affect the kinetic energy of a rotating water molecule?

The kinetic energy of a rotating water molecule is affected by its mass, velocity, and the strength of the forces acting on it such as gravity and friction.

How does the kinetic energy of a rotating water molecule impact its behavior?

The kinetic energy of a rotating water molecule is directly related to its speed and the force it can exert on its surroundings. This impacts the molecule's ability to interact with other molecules and its overall behavior in a system.