Kinetic energy of solid sphere that is rolling

In summary, we are given a solid sphere with a mass of 2.5 kg and a velocity of 5.3 m/s. Using the equations for inertia, rotational energy, and kinetic energy, we can calculate the transitional kinetic energy, rotational kinetic energy, and the ratio of the two. The transitional energy is given by 1/2mv^2, while the rotational energy can be calculated using the equation 1/2Iw^2, where I is the inertia and w is the angular velocity. To find the angular velocity, we can use the conversion from velocity to angular velocity, v = ωr, where r is the radius. With these equations, we can solve for the expressions needed to solve the
starstruck_

Homework Statement

A solid sphere of mass m=2.5 kg is rolling at v=5.3 m/s. Calculate the transitional kinetic energy, rotational kinetic energy, and the ratio of the two (Rotational/ Transitional).

Homework Equations

[/B]
Inertia of solid sphere = 2/5 mR^2 (where R is the radius and m is the mass)
Rotational energy = 1/2Iw^2 (where I is the inertia and w is the angular velocity)
Kinetic/ Transitional energy = 1/2mv^2

These are the only equations I know of, that are relevant to this - along with the conversion from velocity to angular velocity I suppose.

The Attempt at a Solution

I actually have no idea how to work this out.
When we do problems (online), we are supposed to come up with an expression to solve the problem, I am asked for an expression for the transitional energy, an expression for the rotational energy, and an expression for the ratio of the two.

I know that the transitional energy would just be 1/2mv^2, but I'm not sure for the rotational energy. Since r and w are not variables that are given to me, I need other expressions to define the radius and angular velocity and sub those in (assuming I'm on the right path) to create the expression for my rotational energy ( if that makes sense?)

I'm not even sure if that is the right thing to do ^ but I don't know how else I would go about doing this.

Also, I hope it's not too much to ask, but could you please provide your reasoning for any assumptions you make and steps you take? I want to make sure I understand this - there's a part b to this with a hollow sphere that I would like to try on my own. Thank you!EDIT: never mind I'm dumb, figured it out!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The wonders an extra relevant equation (in this case ##\ v = \omega r\ ##) can do for you :smile: ! Well done !

Likes starstruck_
BvU said:
The wonders an extra relevant equation (in this case ##\ v = \omega r\ ##) can do for you :smile: ! Well done !
XD Thank you!

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

3. How is the kinetic energy of a solid sphere that is rolling different from that of a solid sphere that is not rolling?

The kinetic energy of a solid sphere that is rolling is a combination of its translational energy (due to its linear motion) and its rotational energy (due to its spinning motion). In contrast, a solid sphere that is not rolling only has translational kinetic energy.

4. Does the shape of the solid sphere affect its kinetic energy when rolling?

Yes, the shape of the solid sphere can affect its kinetic energy when rolling. Objects with different shapes have different moments of inertia, which affects how rotational energy is distributed and therefore the overall kinetic energy of the object.

5. Can the kinetic energy of a solid sphere that is rolling change?

Yes, the kinetic energy of a solid sphere that is rolling can change. It can increase if the object speeds up or decrease if it slows down. Additionally, external forces such as friction can also affect the kinetic energy of the object.