Kinetic Energy Transfer in Relativity: A Puzzler

In summary: Energy is a useful concept that we use to describe situations where conservation of energy appears not to be holding.Energy is just part of a 4-momentum 4-vector. 4-vectors do transform when you change the frame of reference, but from a certain point of view, they are the "same" vector, simply looked at from a different point of view.
Skwint
I wasn't sure whether this question belonged in relativity or QM, or even just plain classic. This forum seemed the best bet, but I am not using speeds near C - mere Galilean relativity will suffice here.

I have two objects, A and B
A is moving with velocity V and thus has kinetic energy E
B is stationary and has no kinetic energy

But now I put my foot down and accelerate until I am moving with velocity V, or, put another way, A is now stationary and B is moving at -V. Thus, now A has no kinetic energy and B has kinetic energy E.

So, how did the energy move from object A to object B? I touched neither and they are separated by vacuum. I am forever being told that energy is "real" and not just a convenient conservation constant, and that we can convert it to and from matter should the conditions permit, but if it's location depends on the observers velocity I am having trouble understanding that...

Physics news on Phys.org
The energy did not move from A to B.

You could have observed A and B from a car moving with a speed 10V, and then the sum of the energies of A and B in that frame wouldn't add up to the total energy they had in the original frame of reference.

Sure. It doesn't really answer the original question though? Does energy actually "exist"? The total energy in a system depends on who is looking at it - is it no more than a mathematically construct, or is it as tangible as, say, a particle?

In a given frame of reference, you can always talk about energy as if it exists in space; for instance the energy in a given region of space only decreases by flowing out of the that region. But it is not actually a tangible substance, like water.

Skwint said:
So, how did the energy move from object A to object B?
The energy didn't move from A to B. If A and B are different masses then their KE's for the same velocity are different, so there is no way even in principle to simply treat the energy as having moved from A to B.

In the starting inertial frame the energy was always in object A (your energy changed as you accelerated) and in the final inertial frame the energy always was in B (your energy changed as you accelerated).

Skwint said:
Does energy actually "exist"?
What experiment do you propose to determine if something "actually exists"? Otherwise, can you even unambiguously define the meaning of "actually exist"?

In relativity, energy and momentum are parts of one object, the energy-momentum vector. When you change from one reference frame to another, part of your energy turns into momentum and part of your momentum turns into energy. In the original frame, A has energy and B has momentum. In the second frame, A has momentum and B has energy.

What experiment do you propose to determine if something "actually exists"? Otherwise, can you even unambiguously define the meaning of "actually exist"?
This is getting rather philosophical, but I believe what he meant by "actually exists" could be more accurately stated, "is a useful concept."

In science-fiction one often encounters breathless exclamations that such-and-such a thing is "pure energy." It might be interesting to the OP to be informed / reminded that mass changes with one's frame. So there is rest mass, which is invariant by frame, and then there is the relativistic mass which depends upon the observers' relative velocity. So a similar question arises regarding how much mass "exists" for a particle or body.

Nowadays the only mass we use is the rest mass, which is independent of rest frame. The term "relativistic mass" is no longer used, being just 1/c2 times the energy.

"Energy" is fundamentally a "bookkeeping" device. Historically, every time a situation has occurred in which it appeared that energy was NOT conserved, a new kind of energy was defined to account for it.

HallsofIvy said:
"Energy" is fundamentally a "bookkeeping" device. Historically, every time a situation has occurred in which it appeared that energy was NOT conserved, a new kind of energy was defined to account for it.

I have been confused over the years when encountering energy in the context of relativity, when we see phrases such as "converting a body's mass entirely into energy."
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/einstein/tiny-nf.html

Can you describe how it is a bookkeeping device in this context? This type of discussion seems to treat it as a real "thing" like mass...

Energy is just part of a 4-momentum 4-vector. 4-vectors do transform when you change the frame of reference, but from a certain point of view, they are the "same" vector, simply looked at from a different point of view. Of course, this gets all philosophical. The point is that the vector transformation rules are clearly spelled out, and if you go back to the original frame of reference, you see that the 4-vectors transform back to the original state, and everything is conserved. In fact, the magnitude of the 4-vector is conserved, and the "4-direction" is only changed when you change your viewpoint.

As an analogy, suppose we have a rule that says that the length of a box is conserved. Yet you can rotate around a box to change a 2x4 box to a 4x2 box. But "really", it hasn't changed.

It's conserved in this way regardless of whether it transforms to or from mass?

I don't mind the answers becoming philosophical. I remember one of my professors laughing when I said energy was just book keeping and telling me it existed and has mass. It is interesting to see it circle round to where I started when I try to resolve that...

Related to Kinetic Energy Transfer in Relativity: A Puzzler

1. What is kinetic energy transfer in relativity?

Kinetic energy transfer in relativity refers to the transfer of energy between two objects that are moving at different speeds relative to each other. This phenomenon is described by Einstein's theory of special relativity and takes into account the effects of time and space dilation.

2. How is kinetic energy transfer affected by the speed of light?

In relativity, the speed of light is considered to be the maximum achievable speed. As an object approaches the speed of light, its kinetic energy increases exponentially. However, at the speed of light, the object's kinetic energy becomes infinite and it would require an infinite amount of energy to accelerate it further.

3. Can kinetic energy be transferred between objects at rest?

No, kinetic energy can only be transferred between objects that are in motion. This is because kinetic energy is directly proportional to an object's velocity.

4. How do you calculate the amount of kinetic energy transferred in relativity?

The amount of kinetic energy transferred in relativity can be calculated using the formula E = mc², where E is the energy, m is the mass of the object, and c is the speed of light. This formula takes into account the effects of time and space dilation.

5. What real-life applications does the concept of kinetic energy transfer in relativity have?

The concept of kinetic energy transfer in relativity has various real-life applications, such as in particle accelerators, nuclear reactors, and space travel. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of high-speed particles and the formation of black holes.