Kinetic Energy vs Burger Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics class about momentum and kinetic energy and the speaker's attempt to calculate the speed that the kilojoules from a Quarter Pounder can propel a person. However, the calculations were simplified and contained errors and assumptions, leading to an inaccurate result. The conversation also touches on the concept of energy conversion in the human body during physical activity.
oneiron
Hello Everyone.

I was teaching a physics class the other day on basic momentum and kinetic energy when I decided, for fun, to work out how fast the kilojoules from a Quarter Pounder could propel you. A Quarter Pounder (according to the box) gives you roughly 2000 kilojoules, and my mass is about 80kg. so...

E = 1/2 m v^2
2000kj=.5*80*v^2
sqrt(50) = v = 7ish ms^1 = 25ishkph

Which is fast, but is not THAT fast. Certainly well slower than the records.

So I tried to look at things another way.

If the average person can run 100m in about 20seconds then they're running at 5ms^1.
So, 1/2 mv^2 = .5*80*25=1000kj.

When one is running, chemical energy is being turned into kinetic energy to propell me up to that speed. When I slow down, I can't see how the kinetic energy could be transferred into chemical potential energy in my body...

so this math would say that to burn off a burger, I only need to do two short sprints, reaching 5ms^-1. This seems far far far too easy in my mind.

Where is the mistake in my thinking?

Cheers,

Physics news on Phys.org
You messed units (kiloJoules), missing factor 1000.
And, of course, the nutrition energy may be converted to mechanical one in your muscles with pretty limited efficiency.

Welcome to Physics Forums, oneiron.

You have made several simplifications here and a number of errors. Firstly, your initial calculation is off by some way. It should be

[tex]2\times10^6 = \frac{1}{2}80v^2 \Rightarrow v \approx 224 \text{m}.\text{s}^{-1}[/tex]

Secondly, you assume that the body has unit efficiency, i.e. it absorbs everything it takes in. Obviously this isn't true. Thirdly, you assume that the runner runs at constant speed for the entire distance, which isn't true - there will be a period of acceleration followed by a short period of constant speed, followed by another period of acceleration. Fourthly, you assume again, the the body is 100% efficient, in that any energy it uses is converted entirely to speed, which isn't the case - what about the wasted energy breathing, thinking, blinking, repairing damage, heartbeat etc.

Regarding your final point:
When one is running, chemical energy is being turned into kinetic energy to propell me up to that speed. When I slow down, I can't see how the kinetic energy could be transferred into chemical potential energy in my body...
This is very worrying if you are indeed teaching a physics class and had to ask this question. In actuality, this entire thread is worrying if you are teaching physics. After the sprint, your body does not "reabsorb" the energy you expelled during the race. In fact, your body uses energy in slowing you down. The energy you expelled during the race (and slowing down afterward) is "lost" to the environment so to speak.

Related to Kinetic Energy vs Burger Energy

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy possessed by an object in motion. It is calculated as 1/2 times the mass of the object times its velocity squared.

What is burger energy?

Burger energy is not a scientific term. It is a humorous way of referring to the energy obtained from consuming a burger.

How does kinetic energy differ from burger energy?

Kinetic energy and burger energy are two different types of energy. Kinetic energy is a form of mechanical energy while burger energy is a form of chemical energy obtained from food.

Which type of energy is more important for human survival?

Both kinetic energy and burger energy are important for human survival. Kinetic energy allows us to move and perform physical activities, while burger energy provides the necessary fuel for our bodies to function properly.

Can kinetic energy be converted into burger energy?

No, kinetic energy cannot be directly converted into burger energy. However, the energy obtained from consuming food is eventually converted into kinetic energy when our bodies use it for physical activities.