Kinetic Friction to find velocity

In summary: So the force of friction is mu*m*g. And that force equals m*a from Newton's Law. And so a = mu*g.In summary, an expert witness was called to testify in a trial involving an automobile accident. The skid marks left by the car were measured to be 219 ft, 9 in, and the coefficient of kinetic friction was determined to be 0.400. Using the formula a= (mu x g), the witness was able to calculate the velocity of the car just before the driver hit the brakes to be approximately 51.2 mph.
SuPaFly43218

Homework Statement

You have been called to testify as an expert witness in a trial involving an automobile accident. The speed limit on the highway where the accident occurred was 40 mph. The driver of the car slammed on his brakes, locking his wheels, and left skid marks as the car skidded to a halt. You measure the length of these skid marks to be 219 ft, 9 in., and determine that the coefficient of kinetic friction between the wheels and the pavement at the time of the accident was 0.400.

How fast was this car traveling (to the nearest number of mph) just before the driver hit his brakes?

Homework Equations

I would guess using the old formula of x1-x0 = (Vf^2-Vi^2)/2a would work. I am not sure how to find a though.

The Attempt at a Solution

0-66.9798 (that is the 219.75 ft converted to meters) = (0 - Vi^2)/2a

I am not sure where to go from here; please help! I know the answer is 51.2 mph, but I am lost on where to go.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bump! This is very important!

SuPaFly43218 said:

Homework Statement

You have been called to testify as an expert witness in a trial involving an automobile accident. The speed limit on the highway where the accident occurred was 40 mph. The driver of the car slammed on his brakes, locking his wheels, and left skid marks as the car skidded to a halt. You measure the length of these skid marks to be 219 ft, 9 in., and determine that the coefficient of kinetic friction between the wheels and the pavement at the time of the accident was 0.400.

How fast was this car traveling (to the nearest number of mph) just before the driver hit his brakes?

Homework Equations

I would guess using the old formula of x1-x0 = (Vf^2-Vi^2)/2a would work. I am not sure how to find a though.

The Attempt at a Solution

0-66.9798 (that is the 219.75 ft converted to meters) = (0 - Vi^2)/2a

I am not sure where to go from here; please help! I know the answer is 51.2 mph, but I am lost on where to go.

32.2 f/s2 is the acceleration from gravity. And they tell you the coefficient of friction is .4 of that.

So that yields your velocity in f/s from V2 = 2*a*x

Then to get mph divide by 1.46666.

Easy peasy. Nice and easy.

Right, i got the answer... but what is the formula a= (mu x g). I have never seen this formula before. Is this derived from something else??

SuPaFly43218 said:
Right, i got the answer... but what is the formula a= (mu x g). I have never seen this formula before. Is this derived from something else??

F = u*m*g = m*a

a = u*g

Thank you, our physics book and teacher never explained that to us. Just to get this right, you said that (Force) F = mu x m (mass) x g (gravity)?

Nvm, i figured it out. Thank you for your help LowlyPion, your help is much appreciated.

SuPaFly43218 said:
Thank you, our physics book and teacher never explained that to us. Just to get this right, you said that (Force) F = mu x m (mass) x g (gravity)?

The retarding force of friction divided by the normal force to the surface is the coefficient of friction.
That's what mu is.

1. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object when it is in contact with a surface. It is caused by the interaction between the surfaces of the object and the surface it is moving on.

2. How is kinetic friction different from static friction?

Kinetic friction occurs when an object is already in motion, while static friction occurs when an object is at rest and trying to be set in motion. Kinetic friction is typically weaker than static friction.

3. How is kinetic friction calculated?

Kinetic friction is calculated by multiplying the coefficient of kinetic friction (μ) by the normal force (N) exerted on the object by the surface. The formula is Fk = μN.

4. Can kinetic friction be reduced?

Yes, kinetic friction can be reduced by using lubricants or by making the surfaces smoother. This decreases the coefficient of kinetic friction and results in less resistance to motion.

5. How can kinetic friction be used to find velocity?

Kinetic friction can be used to find velocity by measuring the distance an object travels and the force of kinetic friction acting on it. Using the formula Fk = μN, the force can be converted to acceleration, and then to velocity using the formula v = u + at, where u is the initial velocity and a is the acceleration due to kinetic friction.