Kinetic Theory of Gas problem

In summary, after the helium gas is removed, atoms with greater kinetic energies are removed from the container. The remaining atoms attain a M-B velocity distribution. T2 and P2 are then calculated.
sy7kenny

Homework Statement

Helium gas with T1 = 500K and P1 = 0.02MPa in a rigid container with volume V = 1 cm^3.
Then Helium goes through a process where atoms with kinetic energies greater than kB*T1, where kB is Boltzmann constant, are instantaneously removed from the container.
Atoms remaining in the container attain a M-B velocity distribution with a final Temperature T2.
Calculate T2 and the final pressure P2.

Homework Equations

(1) PV = N * kB * T
M-B speed distribution:
(2) f(v) = 4 * pi * v^2 * (m / (2*pi*kB * T))^(3/2) * exp( - m * v^2 / (2 * kB * T))

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I find the number of molecules using (1) and the total number of atoms in state 1 is 2.987e18.
Then find the limiting velocity by setting E = kB* T = 1/2 * m * v^2 to solve for v,
integrate from 0 to v ( f(v) dv ) to find the fraction of the atoms up to this speed v = 0.463.
The remaining atoms will be this fraction multiply by the number of atoms = 1.34e18 atoms remaining.
Then I am lost on solving for T2 with this remaining atoms that attain M-B velocity distribution.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
sy7kenny said:
Then I am lost on solving for T2 with this remaining atoms that attain M-B velocity distribution.
I'll give you a hint: when you remove the atoms, you are also taking away their energy.

That means if I can find the total energy in state 1, I can also find what is left in state 2?

Thanks for your fast reply DrClaude.

sy7kenny said:
That means if I can find the total energy in state 1, I can also find what is left in state 2?
Since you have figured out the cutoff velocity, it should be easy to get the kinetic energy of the atoms that are left.

Hmm sorry DrClaude, I am still a bit confused.
Does it mean sense that if I integrate from 0 to cutoff velocity ( f(v) dv) and set it = 1, I can find a temperature that satisfy this?

sy7kenny said:
Does it mean sense that if I integrate from 0 to cutoff velocity ( f(v) dv) and set it = 1, I can find a temperature that satisfy this?
What you need to do is use the distribution function to find the energy of the atoms in the velocity range 0 to cutoff at T1. Then you should find a T2 that gives you the same energy.

Note that calculating the energy is not simply integrating f(v) dv. (This should be in your textbook.)

My bad. From the text I found, the energy is:

E = integral ( 0 to cutoff velocity) ( 1/2 * m *v^2 * f(v) dv) , then uses the value to find T2, where T2 = E/kB.

And I have T2 and number of remaining atoms, getting P2 should be no problem.

Thanks for the help!

1. What is the Kinetic Theory of Gas?

The Kinetic Theory of Gas is a scientific theory that describes the behavior of gas particles as they move and interact with each other. It states that gas particles are in constant random motion and that their behavior can be explained by factors such as temperature, pressure, and volume.

2. How does temperature affect the Kinetic Theory of Gas?

According to the Kinetic Theory of Gas, as temperature increases, the average speed of gas particles also increases. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy to the particles, causing them to move faster and collide with each other more frequently.

3. What is the relationship between pressure and volume in the Kinetic Theory of Gas?

The Kinetic Theory of Gas states that as pressure increases, volume decreases, and vice versa. This is because as gas particles collide with each other and the walls of their container, they create pressure and take up space, resulting in a decrease in volume.

4. How does the Kinetic Theory of Gas explain the difference between gases, liquids, and solids?

The Kinetic Theory of Gas explains that gases have the most energy, followed by liquids, and then solids. This is because gas particles have the most freedom to move and are not held together by strong forces like particles in liquids and solids. Therefore, gases can be compressed and take up the most space, while liquids and solids have less room to move and are more structured in their arrangement.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Kinetic Theory of Gas?

The Kinetic Theory of Gas has many practical applications, such as in the field of thermodynamics, where it is used to understand and predict the behavior of gases in various systems. It is also used in the development of technologies such as refrigeration and air conditioning, as well as in the study of weather patterns and atmospheric conditions.