Kinetic Theory of Gases- no. of collisions

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the number of collisions per second between one mole of oxygen molecules at 27°C and one atmospheric pressure, assuming they are moving with Vrms, and a vessel with a volume V. The equations for VRms and pressure are mentioned, as well as a suggestion to calculate the total number of collisions and divide by 6 for one face. The conversation also questions the assumption of a 1 meter cube and suggests using a randomly shaped vessel.
erisedk

Homework Statement

One mole of oxygen at 27°C and at one atmospheric pressure is enclosed in a vessel.
Assuming the molecules to be moving with Vrms, find the number of collisions per second which the molecules make with 1 m2 area of the vessel wall.

Homework Equations

vrms = √(3RT/M)
PV = nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to find the total number of collisions that the molecules make with a cube of side 1m and divide that by 6 to get the no. of collisions with one face.
I know how to calculate pressure (using momentum etc), which gives the equation P = ⅓ ( mN/V ) (vrms)2 where m is the mass of one molecule, N total no. of molecules, V volume.
I don't know how to combine all this information.

Physics news on Phys.org
You combine it ONE step at a time. Your first error: you assume a 1 meter cube. Why?

Okay I won't. I'll assume a volume V. What next?

Also, do I need to even assume that it's a cube? How about I just assume a randomly shaped vessel with volume V?

1. What is the Kinetic Theory of Gases?

The Kinetic Theory of Gases is a theory that explains the behavior of gases based on the idea that gas particles are in constant motion and have a negligible volume compared to the container they are in.

2. How does the Kinetic Theory of Gases explain the number of collisions between gas particles?

The Kinetic Theory of Gases states that gas particles are in constant, random motion, colliding with each other and the walls of their container. Therefore, the more gas particles there are, the more collisions there will be.

3. What factors affect the number of collisions between gas particles?

The number of collisions between gas particles is affected by the number of gas particles present, the temperature of the gas, and the volume of the container.

4. How does temperature affect the number of collisions between gas particles?

According to the Kinetic Theory of Gases, as the temperature of a gas increases, the average kinetic energy of the gas particles also increases, leading to more frequent and energetic collisions.

5. What is the relationship between pressure and the number of collisions between gas particles?

The number of collisions between gas particles is directly related to the pressure of the gas. When pressure increases, the gas particles are forced closer together, resulting in more frequent collisions.