Kinetics: Two Blocks and a Spring

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a block of Uranium and a block of Radium being pushed to the head of an unstretched spring. The combination compresses the spring and upon release, accelerates in the opposite direction. The question is at what point do the blocks separate from the spring and what is their velocity at this instant? The solution involves treating both blocks as one mass, using conservation of energy and solving for velocity. The final velocity is found to be 2.9 cm/s.
_N3WTON_

Homework Statement

Suppose a block of Uranium and a block of Radium, both with edge length [itex] \lambda [/itex], are pushed to the head of an un-stretched spring (spring constant [itex] k [/itex], un-stretched length [itex] \delta _0 [/itex]). The combination, pushed [itex] \delta [/itex] farther, compresses the spring. Upon release, the combination accelerates in the opposite direction. At what point do the blocks separate from the spring (not from each other)? What is their velocity at this instant? Assume the left block is Radium and the right block is Uranium. [itex] \lambda = 10cm [/itex], [itex] \rho _{radium} = 5 \frac{g}{cm^{3}} [/itex], [itex] \rho _{uranium} = 19.1 \frac{g}{cm^{3}} [/itex], [itex] k = 2410 \frac{dyne}{cm} [/itex], [itex] \delta _0 = 30 cm [/itex], [itex] \delta = 10 cm [/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have to say I am sort of stumped on this problem. I know that I can find the volume of each of the two blocks (assuming that they are cubes) by cubing the edge length, certainly I'll need that information later on in the problem. I was thinking that perhaps conservation of energy would be one way to approach the problem, but I believe that the instructor meant for us to use Newton's Law (this is for Mechanics class and we are doing the Force/Acceleration unit). I have my free body diagrams for the blocks drawn (and can post them if it would help). I was sort of hoping that someone could push me in the right direction and hopefully from there I'll be able to figure it out. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The detailed description of the "mass" is furnished as a distraction. Presumably you're operating on the traditional frictionless surface with a massless spring. When/where does the relaxing spring stop pushing the mass/block(s)?

Bystander said:
The detailed description of the "mass" is furnished as a distraction. Presumably you're operating on the traditional frictionless surface with a massless spring. When/where does the relaxing spring stop pushing the mass/block(s)?
A quick question, would it be allowed to treat both blocks as one mass?

Certainly.

Bystander said:
Certainly.
Ok, so the blocks will separate once the spring returns to length [itex] \delta _0 [/itex] and then I could just find the velocity by using conservation of energy (solve for [itex] v [/itex])...

_N3WTON_ said:
Ok, so the blocks will separate
... and, I will insert, "from the spring," right at this point ...
_N3WTON_ said:
once the spring returns to length δ 0
Unless I've been too clever seeing through all the distractions built into the problem statement.

Bystander said:
... and, I will insert, "from the spring," right at this point ...
Ironically, when this problem was first assigned that wasn't specified, so I sat down for like an hour trying to figure out some way that would allow me to figure out when the blocks would separate from each other (luckily the instructor finally specified what he meant) lol...Anyhow, thanks for the help, it doesn't seem nearly as hard as I originally thought it was..

Ok here is what I did for my solution: I said [itex] x = 0 [/itex] when the spring is un-stretched and that x is positive to the right. Therefore, [itex] x_0 = -10 cm [/itex]. Using the formula for density and the fact that edge length cubed gives volume I found the total mass of both blocks (assumed to be one mass) is 29100 g. Then I applied conservation of energy. [itex] \frac{1}{2}mv_{0}^{2} + \frac{1}{2}kx_{0}^{2} = \frac{1}{2}mv^{2} + \frac{1}{2}kx^{2} [/itex]. I said that [itex] x = 0 [/itex] (the spring is unstretched at this point) and [itex] v_{0} = 0 [/itex]. After some manipulation I found: [itex] v = \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}x^{2}} [/itex]. Plugging in the known values I found [itex] v = 2.9 \frac{cm}{s} [/itex].

Looks like a good set-up; I haven't checked your mass calculation, but everything else works out, so I'll take your word for it, and I get the same number. Holler if it turns out I gave you a bum steer.

Bystander said:
Looks like a good set-up; I haven't checked your mass calculation, but everything else works out, so I'll take your word for it, and I get the same number. Holler if it turns out I gave you a bum steer.
Awesome, thanks for the help

1. What is the definition of "kinetics"?

Kinetics refers to the study of motion, specifically how objects move and the forces that cause that motion.

2. What is the concept of "Two Blocks and a Spring" in kinetics?

"Two Blocks and a Spring" is a common problem in kinetics that involves two blocks connected by a spring, where one block is pulled or pushed and the goal is to determine the motion of both blocks and the forces acting on them.

3. How is the motion of the blocks in "Two Blocks and a Spring" affected by the mass and stiffness of the spring?

The mass and stiffness of the spring affect the frequency and amplitude of the motion of the blocks, as well as the amount of energy stored and transferred between the blocks.

4. What are the equations used to solve "Two Blocks and a Spring" problems in kinetics?

The equations used vary depending on the specifics of the problem, but typically involve Newton's laws of motion, Hooke's law, and the equations for energy and work.

5. How do real-life factors such as friction and air resistance impact the results of "Two Blocks and a Spring" problems in kinetics?

In real-life situations, factors like friction and air resistance can affect the accuracy of the results obtained in "Two Blocks and a Spring" problems. These factors can cause energy losses and alter the motion and forces acting on the blocks.