Kirchhoff law for absorption and emission of a gas

In summary, the conversation discusses the absorption and emission phenomena of a gas at thermodynamic equilibrium, according to Kirchhoff's law. The equation states that the amount of absorbed energy must be emitted with the same probability at all directions and wavelengths. This differs from reflection, where the direction of the reflected photon can be predicted. The physical system being considered is an enclosure with reflecting, absorbing, and emitting walls and a gas that also absorbs and emits photons. The Kirchhoff equation suggests that when a photon is absorbed, it will be emitted with the same probability in all directions and at the same wavelength.
Carlos de Meo
Hi Guys
I´m studying the absorption and emission phenomena of a gas and, according to Kirchhoff "extended" law, for a body at thermodynamic equilibrium, the following statement is true.
ελ(T,θ,φ) = Aλ(T, θ,φ).
So, if i understood correctly the meaning of this equation, The amount of absorbed energy must be emitted with the same probability at all direction at the same wavelength, is it correct?
If so, the only difference between reflection and emission at equilibrium (in therms of energy) is that i´m able to predict the direction of the reflected photon (assuming specular reflection) and for the absorption/emission phenomena, i can only say that it happens with the same probability through all direction?
Thank you very much for your time and patience

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you please give more details of the physical system you are considering?

Oh sure, sorry about that.
If we think an enclosure containing a gas inside. This system is already at thermodynamic equilibrium. The walls are reflecting, absorbing and emitting photons,the gas is absorbing and emitting (lets not talk about scattering at the moment). So if i apply the Kirchhoff equation for this system, it says that when a photon is absorbed, it should be emitted through all direction with the same probability at the same wavelength that it was absorbed?

1. What is Kirchhoff's law for absorption and emission of a gas?

Kirchhoff's law states that the ratio of the absorption coefficient to the emission coefficient is equal to the emissivity of a gas at a specific wavelength and temperature.

2. How does Kirchhoff's law relate to the behavior of gases?

Kirchhoff's law explains how gases behave when exposed to electromagnetic radiation. It states that a gas that is a good absorber of a specific wavelength of radiation will also be a good emitter of that same wavelength.

3. Can Kirchhoff's law be applied to all gases?

Yes, Kirchhoff's law can be applied to all gases regardless of their composition or physical properties. This law is a fundamental principle in the study of thermodynamics and radiation.

4. How does Kirchhoff's law affect the absorption and emission spectra of gases?

Kirchhoff's law explains the relationship between the absorption and emission spectra of gases. It states that the absorption and emission spectra of a gas will be identical at a given temperature and wavelength.

5. What are the practical applications of Kirchhoff's law for absorption and emission of gases?

Kirchhoff's law has various practical applications, including in astronomy, where it is used to analyze the composition of stars and other celestial bodies based on their emission and absorption spectra. It is also used in the design of thermal imaging devices and in the study of atmospheric gases and their effects on climate change.