Kirchoff's Law: Exploring the Difference

In summary, Kirchoff's law can be interpreted in two ways: the integral of E*dl equals zero in a closed loop, or the algebraic sum of voltages in a closed loop equals zero. The difference lies in the sign, with the first form using a negative sign for voltage sources and resistors, while the second form uses a positive sign. However, this difference does not affect the end result, as both forms lead to a solution of zero. In high speed circuits, a generalization of the first form, known as Faraday's Law, may be more accurate. This may not be relevant for EE undergrads, as they typically only use circuit theory for circuits smaller than a tenth of a wavelength.
brentd49
I'm having a problem with Kirchoff's law because It seems it can be interpreted 2 ways. Perhaps they both arrive at the same answer, but if you could help me out as to which way to do it or if it matters.
1. the Integral[E*dl]=0, in a closed loop
2. the algebraic sum of the voltages in a closed loop equals zero.

The difference arrises in the sign. For instance, for the Integral[E*dl] going across a voltage source is -V because you are going against the electric field. But for the algebraic sum of voltages you are going to a higher potential so it is +V. Similarly for resitors the electric field (Integral[E*dl]) gives a +V, but for algebraic sum of voltages it is -V because there is a loss in potential. I don't understand I have never heard a explanation for this in my EE circuits class or physics class. What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't matter because in both case the answer is zero. If you want you could write instead:
[tex]-\oint \underline E . \underline dl = 0[/tex]
which is exactly the same thing and corresponds to the second form you have there.

Matt

I concur with baffledMatt.

I do want to mention, though, that the first form that you have mentioned will lead to a non-trivial violation for high speed circuits. There are various generalizations that will allow it to show up in the second form, but it is better explained by a generalization of the first (called Faraday's Law). If you are an EE undergrad, you may never run into it. I think they give you the criterion for being able to use the circuit theory that you are learning as applying to circuits smaller than about a tenth of a wavelength. This takes care of the low speed approximation.

Related to Kirchoff's Law: Exploring the Difference

1. What is Kirchoff's Law?

Kirchoff's Law, also known as Kirchoff's Circuit Laws, are two principles that govern the behavior of electrical circuits. They were developed by German physicist Gustav Kirchoff in the mid-19th century and are fundamental to understanding and analyzing electrical circuits.

2. What are the two laws under Kirchoff's Law?

The two laws under Kirchoff's Law are the Kirchoff's Current Law (KCL) and the Kirchoff's Voltage Law (KVL).

3. What is Kirchoff's Current Law (KCL)?

Kirchoff's Current Law states that the total current flowing into a junction in a circuit must equal the total current flowing out of that junction. This is based on the principle of conservation of charge.

4. What is Kirchoff's Voltage Law (KVL)?

Kirchoff's Voltage Law states that the sum of all voltage drops in a closed loop in a circuit must equal the sum of all voltage rises. This is based on the principle of conservation of energy.

5. How are Kirchoff's Laws used in circuit analysis?

Kirchoff's Laws are used in circuit analysis to determine the voltage, current, and resistance values in a circuit. By applying these laws, we can solve for unknown values and analyze the behavior of a circuit to ensure proper functioning.