Kirchoff's Law Question; I'm very close

In summary, the circuit involves two batteries and three resistors connected in a series. The questions revolve around the amount of current flowing through each battery when the switch is open or closed. To solve this problem, it is important to remember that loop currents are continuous and to include enough loops to cover all components. In this case, with the switch open, one loop comprising the two batteries and the 2Ω and 4Ω resistors is sufficient.
eriadoc

Homework Statement

Two batteries and three resistors are connected as shown in the figure. How much current flows through the 6.0V battery when the switch is closed? How much current flows through the 9.0V battery when the switch is closed? How much current flows through the 6.0V battery when the switch is open? How much current flows through the 9.0V battery when the switch is open?

Walker.21.52.jpg

Homework Equations

V=IR; I1+I2+I3=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I labeled the loop on the left as LOOP1, the right side loop LOOP2, and the total circuit LOOP3. I've labeled the current leaving the 6V potential as I_1, and it splits into I_2 (going down the middle leg) and I_3, which continues around the outer leg. I've gone round and round with this problem, so I'm going to start the question at LOOP1. Without using Kirchoff's Law at all, I can easily surmise that the total resistance in the loop is 6ohms. The two resistors (4ohm and 2ohm) are in series. I know the answers to the questions "How much current flows through the 6.0V battery when the switch is open? How much current flows through the 9.0V battery when the switch is open?" are -0.5A, which fits perfectly with what I know from using V=IR: (6-9)=I(6).

But when I set it up following the book example and that given by the professor in class, the resistance is not added, but subtracted. So I do the following:

ε - I_2R + I_1R=0 => -3 - 4I_2 + 2I_1=0

Obviously I know this is wrong, and it should be 4+2, but I don't know why.

For LOOP2 (closed switch):

ε - I_3R + I_2R=0 => (6+9) - 5I_3 + 4I_2 =0

From here, I do the loops out, rearrange the equations algebraically, and substitute to solve for each I. I'm coming up with consistent numbers, but nothing close to the answers. In shooter's parlance, I'm grouping really well, but waaaay over there, LOL.

I think if I can figure out how to set up LOOP1, I'll be able to work through the rest. Thanks for any advice and help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing to keep in mind is that loop currents don’t split. Loop currents are continuous, and pass entirely around their loop unchanged. Second, to analyze a complete circuit you need just enough loops so that every component that has current flowing through it is included in at least one of them.

Your circuit requires only one or two loops to cover all components, depending upon whether or not the switch is closed.

So, if you begin with the case where the switch is open , you have just one loop comprising the two batteries and the 2Ω and 4Ω resistors. What's an equation for this loop?

1. What is Kirchoff's Law?

Kirchoff's Law, also known as Kirchoff's Circuit Laws, are two fundamental principles in electrical engineering and physics that describe the behavior of electrical circuits. These laws are used to determine the voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit.

2. What are the two laws in Kirchoff's Law?

The two laws in Kirchoff's Law are the Junction Law and the Loop Law. The Junction Law states that the sum of currents entering a junction in a circuit is equal to the sum of currents leaving the junction. The Loop Law states that the sum of voltage drops around a closed circuit loop is equal to the sum of voltage gains.

3. How do I apply Kirchoff's Law in a circuit?

To apply Kirchoff's Law in a circuit, you need to identify all the junctions and loops in the circuit. Then, using the Junction Law, you can write an equation for each junction. Similarly, using the Loop Law, you can write an equation for each loop. Finally, you can solve the equations to determine the unknown values in the circuit.

4. Can Kirchoff's Law be applied to any circuit?

Yes, Kirchoff's Law can be applied to any electrical circuit, whether it is a simple or complex circuit. These laws are fundamental principles that govern the behavior of all electrical circuits.

5. What are the limitations of Kirchoff's Law?

Kirchoff's Law assumes that the circuit is in a steady state, meaning that the currents and voltages do not change with time. It also assumes that the circuit is linear, which means that the components in the circuit have a constant resistance. Additionally, these laws do not take into account the effects of capacitance and inductance in a circuit.