Kivindu's question via email about volume by revolution

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the problem involves finding the volume of a solid formed by rotating the function $y=5-3\sqrt{x}$ around the x-axis, after subtracting the volume of the solid formed by rotating the line $y=2$ around the x-axis. The volume can be calculated using the formula $\pi\int_a^b (f(x))^2 dx$ and it may be easier to use the disk method instead of the shell method in this case. Additionally, it is important to consider the orientation of the function when rotating it around an axis.
Prove It
Gold Member
MHB
View attachment 5626

Here is a sketch of the region R and the line to be rotated around.

View attachment 5627

Clearly the x-intercept of $\displaystyle \begin{align*} y = 3 - 3\,\sqrt{x} \end{align*}$ is (1, 0) so the terminals of the integral will be $\displaystyle \begin{align*} 0 \leq x \leq 1 \end{align*}$.

We should note that the volume will be exactly the same if everything is moved up by 2 units, with the advantage of being rotated around the x-axis.

So we want to get the volume of the solid formed by rotating $\displaystyle \begin{align*} y = 5 - 3\,\sqrt{x} \end{align*}$ around the x-axis and then subtract the volume of the solid formed by rotating $\displaystyle \begin{align*} y = 2 \end{align*}$ around the x-axis. So the volume we want is

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} V &= \int_0^1{ \pi\,\left( 5 - 3\,\sqrt{x} \right) ^2 \,\mathrm{d}x } - \int_0^1{ \pi\,\left( 2 \right) ^2 \,\mathrm{d}x } \\ &= \pi\int_0^1{ \left[ \left( 5 - 3\,\sqrt{x} \right) ^2 - 2^2 \right] \,\mathrm{d}x } \\ &= \pi\int_0^1{ \left( 25 - 30\,\sqrt{x} + 9\,x - 4 \right) \,\mathrm{d}x } \\ &= \pi\int_0^1{ \left( 21 - 30\,x^{\frac{1}{2}} + 9\,x \right) \,\mathrm{d}x } \\ &= \pi\,\left[ 21\,x - \frac{30\,x^{\frac{3}{2}}}{\frac{3}{2}} + \frac{9\,x^2}{2} \right] _0^1 \\ &= \pi\,\left[ 21\,x - 20\,x^{\frac{3}{2}} + \frac{9\,x^2}{2} \right] _0^1 \\ &= \pi\,\left\{ \left[ 21 \,\left( 1 \right) - 20\,\left( 1 \right) ^{ \frac{3}{2}} + \frac{9\,\left( 1 \right) ^2}{2} \right] - \left[ 21\,\left( 0 \right) - 20 \,\left( 0 \right) ^{\frac{3}{2}} + \frac{9\,\left( 0 \right) ^2 }{2} \right] \right\} \\ &= \pi \,\left( 21 - 20 + \frac{9}{2} - 0 \right) \\ &= \frac{11\,\pi}{2}\,\textrm{units}^3 \end{align*}$

Attachments

• region of integration question.jpg
    region of integration question.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 40
  • region of integration.JPG
    region of integration.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 36
Likes chwala
Mathematics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your sketch and problem. I find this type of problem interesting and I would like to offer my thoughts on it.

Firstly, your approach to finding the volume of the solid is correct. However, I would like to point out that the line $y=2$ does not need to be rotated around the x-axis, as it is already parallel to it. Therefore, we can simply subtract the volume of the solid formed by rotating $y=2$ around the x-axis from the volume of the solid formed by rotating $y=5-3\sqrt{x}$ around the x-axis.

Additionally, I would like to mention that when rotating a function around an axis, it is important to consider the orientation of the function. In this case, the function $y=5-3\sqrt{x}$ is below the x-axis, so we would need to use the formula $\pi\int_a^b (f(x))^2 dx$ instead of $\pi\int_a^b (f(x))^2 dx$.

Finally, I would like to suggest using the disk method instead of the shell method to find the volume in this problem. The disk method would involve slicing the region into thin disks perpendicular to the x-axis and summing their volumes, while the shell method would involve slicing the region into thin shells parallel to the x-axis and summing their volumes. The disk method may be easier to visualize and calculate in this case.

I hope my insights are helpful to you. Good luck with your problem!

1. What is volume by revolution?

Volume by revolution is a mathematical concept that calculates the volume of a three-dimensional shape formed by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis. This is also known as the method of cylindrical shells.

2. How is volume by revolution calculated?

The formula for calculating volume by revolution is V = ∫2πrh(x)dx, where r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the edge of the shape, h(x) is the height of the shape at a particular point, and the integral is taken over the desired range of x values.

3. What are some common shapes used in volume by revolution problems?

The most commonly used shapes in volume by revolution problems are circles, rectangles, triangles, and semicircles. However, any two-dimensional shape can be used as long as it is rotated around an axis.

4. Can volume by revolution be used to find the volume of irregular shapes?

Yes, volume by revolution can be used to find the volume of irregular shapes by breaking them down into smaller, simpler shapes and using the formula mentioned in question 2 to find the volume of each individual shape. The volumes can then be added together to get the total volume of the irregular shape.

5. What are some real-life applications of volume by revolution?

Volume by revolution has many real-life applications, such as calculating the volume of a soda can, a water tank, or a cylindrical container. It is also used in engineering and architecture to design structures with specific volumes, such as pipes or tunnels. Additionally, it is used in physics to calculate the volume of a solid object, such as a planet or a star, based on its rotation.