Knee Speed/ Velocity Split for damper

In summary, the conversation revolves around determining the ideal knee speed or velocity split for a car being designed in order to achieve optimum comfort in most situations. This involves relating the knee speed of the damper to the crossover point on the displacement transmissibility graph. The article referenced suggests correlating the two, but the question remains on how to do so. While the person asking the question has some knowledge on vibration theory, it does not cover the complex situation at hand. The difficulty lies in the fact that damper velocity is related to both frequency and displacement, making it challenging to isolate and correlate the two.
hackashack
Hey guys I'm trying to figure out the ideal knee speed or velocity split for a particular car that I'm designing. What I'm trying to do is relate the knee speed (or crossover speed) of my damper to the crossover point in the displacement transmissiblity graph so that I can achieve optimum comfort in most situations. Please refer to the .png files that I've attached. Any help would be very appreciated!

Attachments

• knee.PNG
    knee.PNG
    26.1 KB · Views: 582
  • Trans.PNG
    Trans.PNG
    26.5 KB · Views: 1,115
Engineering news on Phys.org
By the way, what I mean by the crossover point of the transmissibility plot is at the square root of two for the frequency ratio.

This might help you understand what you are trying to accomplish: http://www.optimumg.com/docs/Springs&Dampers_Tech_Tip_4.pdf

That's exactly what I've just read actually. I've read the whole article but my only question out of that article is how to get that split mentioned. All the article said was "
if you’re feeling adventurous, correlate the crossover point on the transmissibility graph to a damper velocity as a split point to start from". My question is: how do you relate them??

I have basic knowledge on vibration theory as I've already taken a course on it but it didn't cover complex situations topics such as the one I'm asking. It only covered the theory aspect with the plots.

Honestly, I've been looking at this many ways and can't see how you could correlate the two. The damper velocity is related [itex]\omega A[/itex] where [itex]A[/itex] is the amplitude of the damper displacement. So the same damper velocity can be achieved by a small displacement at high frequency or a large displacement at a low frequency. The displacement is a function of the road disturbance amplitude [itex]Z[/itex] as well as the transmissibility ratio (which is also a function of the frequency [itex]TR(\omega)[/itex]). So you get something like [itex]v = \omega TR(\omega)Z[/itex]. Even if you set [itex]\omega = \sqrt{2}\omega_n[/itex], there is still [itex]Z[/itex] that will affect the damper velocity.

1. What is Knee Speed/ Velocity Split for damper?

Knee Speed/ Velocity Split for damper is a measurement of the speed and velocity of the knee joint when performing a particular movement, such as walking or running. It is used to assess the effectiveness of a damper in reducing the impact on the knee joint during these movements.

2. How is Knee Speed/ Velocity Split for damper measured?

Knee Speed/ Velocity Split for damper is measured using motion capture technology, which tracks the movement of the knee joint during a specific activity. The data is then analyzed to calculate the speed and velocity of the knee joint.

3. What does a high Knee Speed/ Velocity Split for damper indicate?

A high Knee Speed/ Velocity Split for damper indicates that the damper is effectively reducing the impact on the knee joint during movement. This is important for injury prevention and can also improve performance.

4. Can Knee Speed/ Velocity Split for damper be improved?

Yes, Knee Speed/ Velocity Split for damper can be improved through various methods such as strengthening exercises, proper form and technique, and using a more effective damper. It is important to consult with a professional to determine the best approach for improving Knee Speed/ Velocity Split for damper.

5. How is Knee Speed/ Velocity Split for damper used in research?

Knee Speed/ Velocity Split for damper is used in research to assess the effectiveness of different dampers in reducing the impact on the knee joint during various activities. It is also used to study the relationship between Knee Speed/ Velocity Split and injury prevention in athletes and individuals with knee conditions.