Knowledge of division & fractions indicates math success

In summary, there is a study that backs up the common practice of distributing handouts outlining the rules of adding and multiplying fractions in first-year calculus courses. This is due to the fact that simplifying is a crucial skill in calculus and a lack of understanding in this area can lead to mistakes. Additionally, this practice also helps to weed out sloppy thinking, which can be detrimental in mathematics. However, while better teaching of long division may improve understanding for some students, it is not a guarantee and it is ultimately the ability to carefully apply algorithms that leads to success in mathematics.
fourier jr
I've seen handouts that get distributed at the beginning of first-year calculus courses spelling out the rules of adding & multiplying fractions (among other things), and all the mistakes that are made by students coming out of high school. I think that was mostly based on instructors' experiences but now it looks like there's a study to back it up. considering all the simplifying one needs to do in calculus it comes as no surprise:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/06/120615114057.htm

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
partial fraction decomposition!

It also weeds out sloppy thinking, which is the bane of mathematics. If you can't follow the simple rules for the division algorithm, there probably isn't much hope for anything more complicated. Granted, the real details behind fractions are not fully understood by most people until they have learned about rings and fields. However, I disagree with the conclusion in the article: that better teaching of long division will somehow lead to a better understanding of mathematics across the board for the students. In my experience this is not the case. The kids who were able to understand long division in spite of having a "bad teacher" were precisely those kids who were capable of applying an algorithm carefully. I would venture to guess that it is that type of thinking that is actually causally linked to success in mathematics.

Related to Knowledge of division & fractions indicates math success

1. What is the importance of understanding division and fractions in math?

The knowledge of division and fractions is crucial for success in math because it is the foundation for more advanced concepts in mathematics. It helps with problem-solving, critical thinking, and understanding of mathematical operations.

2. At what age should children start learning about division and fractions?

Children can start learning about division and fractions as early as 6 years old. However, the level of complexity and depth of understanding will vary depending on the child's age and development.

3. How can I help my child improve their division and fraction skills?

Encourage your child to practice regularly with division and fraction problems, provide real-life examples to make the concepts more relatable, and use manipulatives such as blocks or fraction bars to help them visualize and understand the concepts better.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong foundation in division and fractions to excel in higher level math?

Yes, a strong foundation in division and fractions is essential for success in higher level math. Many advanced math concepts, such as algebra and calculus, build upon the understanding of division and fractions.

5. What are some common mistakes students make when learning division and fractions?

Some common mistakes include confusing the order of operations, not simplifying fractions, and not understanding the relationship between division and multiplication. It is important to address these mistakes early on to prevent further misunderstandings and to build a strong foundation in these concepts.