Kraus Matrices and Unitary Matrix

In summary, the problem of obtaining Kraus matrices from a unitary matrix, without using dirac notation, is known as the Kraus decomposition problem. While there is no general solution to this problem, it is possible for some simple unitary matrices, such as the controlled-NOT gate. By writing the unitary matrix in its Pauli decomposition form and using projectors, the Kraus matrices for the controlled-NOT gate can be obtained. These Kraus matrices correspond to the |0> and |1> states of the environment.
Henriamaa
I am having trouble getting the kraus matrices(E_k)) from a unitary matrix. This task is trivial if one uses dirac notation. But supposing I was coding, I can't put in bras and kets in my code so I need a systematic way of getting kraus matrices from a unitary matrix(merely using matrices). So supposing, the environment was in the |0> and my unitary matrix was the controlled not gate. I expect my kraus matrices to be to the projection operators |0><0| and |1><1|. The system and the environment are of course 2 dimensional.

P.S I do know about this definition E_k = <e_k|U|0>. It is not really helpful. |e_k> is a basis for the environment.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem of decomposing a unitary matrix into kraus matrices is known as the Kraus decomposition problem. Unfortunately, there is no known general solution to this problem. However, for some simple unitary matrices, such as the controlled-NOT gate, it is possible to find the Kraus matrices explicitly. For the controlled-NOT gate, the Kraus matrices can be obtained by first writing the unitary matrix in its Pauli decomposition form:U = (I × X) + (X × I)Where I is the identity matrix and X is the Pauli X matrix. The Kraus matrices can then be easily obtained as:E1 = (I × |0><0|) + (X × |1><1|)E2 = (I × |1><1|) + (X × |0><0|)These two Kraus matrices are the projectors onto the |0> and |1> states of the environment, respectively.

1. What are Kraus matrices?

Kraus matrices are a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to describe the dynamics of open quantum systems. They are a set of matrices that represent the possible transformations of a quantum system's state when it interacts with its environment.

2. What is the significance of unitary matrices?

Unitary matrices are important in quantum mechanics because they represent transformations that preserve the norm, or "length", of a quantum state. This means that they do not cause the loss of information or the creation of new information, making them reversible and essential for maintaining the coherence of a quantum system.

3. How are Kraus matrices and unitary matrices related?

Kraus matrices are a generalization of unitary matrices. While unitary matrices are limited to describing closed quantum systems, Kraus matrices can also describe open quantum systems, where information can be lost to the environment. Unitary matrices can be seen as a special case of Kraus matrices when there is no interaction with the environment.

4. What are some applications of Kraus matrices and unitary matrices?

Kraus matrices and unitary matrices have numerous applications in quantum information processing, such as quantum error correction and quantum state tomography. They are also used in quantum computing algorithms, quantum cryptography, and quantum simulations of physical systems.

5. How are Kraus matrices and unitary matrices used in quantum state tomography?

In quantum state tomography, Kraus matrices are used to describe the possible effects of noise on a quantum system. By measuring the output of the system, the Kraus matrices can be used to reconstruct the original state of the system. Unitary matrices are then used to correct for any errors and obtain an accurate representation of the quantum state.