Kronecker Delta in Legendre Series

In summary, the Kronecker delta is a convenient way to pick one value from a series and in this case, it allows for a simpler expression when solving for the coefficients of the Legendre series.
PatsyTy
Hello everyone,

I'm working through some homework for a second year mathematical physics course. For the most part I am understanding everything however there is one step I do not understand regarding the steps taken to solve for the coefficients of the Legendre series. Starting with setting the function I want to expand to

\begin{equation*}
f(x)=\sum_{l=0}^\infty c_l P_l(x)
\end{equation*}

multiplying both sides by ##P_m(x)## and integrating from ##-1## to ##1## with respects to ##x## gives me

\begin{equation*}
\int_{-1}^1 f(x) P_m(x) dx = \sum_{l=0}^\infty c_l \int_{-1}^1{P_l(x) P_m (x)dx} = \sum_{l=0}^\infty c_l \frac{2}{2l+1}\delta_{lm}
\end{equation*}

The issue I am having is the next step where we go from

\begin{equation*}
\sum_{l=0}^\infty c_l \frac{2}{2l+1}\delta_{lm} \quad \text{to} \quad c_m \frac{2}{2m+1}
\end{equation*}

I looked up Kronecker Delta on wikipedia and found the property

\begin{equation*}
\sum_j \delta_{ij} a_j = a_i
\end{equation*}

however I do not understand it. I know I could just memorize this and apply it however I would like to understand where this comes from. I've tried looking up proofs of the properties of Kronecker Delta however I haven't had any luck finding them and my textbook only has a paragraph on the function. Does anyone here know of a good resource for reading up on the Kronecker Delta function?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
PatsyTy said:
I looked up Kronecker Delta on wikipedia and found the property

\begin{equation*}
\sum_j \delta_{ij} a_j = a_i
\end{equation*}

however I do not understand it. I know I could just memorize this and apply it however I would like to understand where this comes from. I've tried looking up proofs of the properties of Kronecker Delta however I haven't had any luck finding them and my textbook only has a paragraph on the function. Does anyone here know of a good resource for reading up on the Kronecker Delta function?
There's really not much to it. ##\delta{ij} = 1## if i = j, and ##\delta{ij} = 0## otherwise.
So ##\sum_{j = 0}^n \delta_{ij} a_j = 0 a_0 + 0 a_1 + \dots + 1a_i + 0a_{i + 1} + \dots + 0a_n##

Likes PatsyTy
Hi Pat, :welcome:

Would be surprised if there were any fat volumes on this subject. It's just a convenient way to pick one value out ouf a series. Allows elegant notation in formulas. (but now I'm short-changing the poor delta a little bit).

There's also the Levi-Civita symbol for the sign of permutations, or the DIrac delta function, a kind of analog equivalent to the Kronecker delta -- with its own peculiar properties. Mathematically in the realm of distributions, but for physicists almost a tangible good friend :smile: .

--

(Mark beat me to answering this one - but we agree).

Definition: [itex]\delta_{ij}=1, i=j; \delta_{ij}=0,i\ne j[/itex]

PatsyTy said:
Hello everyone,The issue I am having is the next step where we go from

\begin{equation*}
\sum_{l=0}^\infty c_l \frac{2}{2l+1}\delta_{lm} \quad \text{to} \quad c_m \frac{2}{2m+1}
\end{equation*}
The key point is this: the Kronecker delta ensures that in the sum over l, the only term that will survive is when l=m (that is forced by the delta). All other terms are killed by the delta. So you take the expression under the sum (without the delta) and everywhere you see an "l", you replace it by "m".

Likes PatsyTy

1. What is the Kronecker Delta in Legendre Series?

The Kronecker Delta, also known as the Kronecker symbol, is a mathematical function used to represent the identity element of a mathematical structure. In Legendre series, it is commonly used to represent the coefficients of a given polynomial.

2. How is the Kronecker Delta used in Legendre Series?

In Legendre series, the Kronecker Delta is used to manipulate the coefficients of a polynomial to simplify equations and solve problems. It is also used to represent the orthonormal basis of a vector space.

3. What are the properties of the Kronecker Delta in Legendre Series?

The Kronecker Delta in Legendre Series has several important properties, including symmetry, transitivity, and the property of being a delta function. It is also used to define the Kronecker product, which is important in linear algebra.

4. How does the Kronecker Delta relate to other mathematical concepts?

The Kronecker Delta is closely related to other mathematical concepts such as the Dirac delta function, the Kronecker product, and the Kronecker sum. It is also used in various mathematical fields, including linear algebra, calculus, and number theory.

5. Can the Kronecker Delta be generalized to higher dimensions in Legendre Series?

Yes, the Kronecker Delta can be generalized to higher dimensions in Legendre Series. In this case, it is known as the Kronecker delta tensor and is used to represent the identity element in higher dimensional vector spaces.