Kronecker Delta summation (easy)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Kronecker delta in summation, specifically in the case where the indices are repeated. It is explained that the repeated indices are summed over, and only the surviving terms are written in a compact form. The conversation also clarifies a mistake made by one of the participants in their attempt to sum the indices.
member 428835
Hi PF!

As outlined in my book ##\delta_{ij} \delta_{jk} = \delta_{ik}## but don't we sum over repeated indices (and the ##j## is repeated)? Can someone explain why we do not sum in this situation?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes it is summed over ##j##. Written explicitly, the sum looks like
$$
\delta_{i1} \delta_{1k} + \delta_{i2} \delta_{2k} + \ldots + \delta_{iN} \delta_{Nk}
$$
You see that if ##i\neq k##, all terms above will vanish. If ##i=k## there will be only one term surviving, therefore that sum can be written compactly as ##\delta_{ik}##.

Likes member 428835
Thanks for responding blue_leaf77! Let's assume ##i,j,k## vary from ##1,2,3##. Then we have $$\delta_{11} \delta_{11} + \delta_{22} \delta_{22} + \delta_{33} \delta_{33} = 3 \neq \delta_{ik}$$

Did I miss something?

joshmccraney said:
Thanks for responding blue_leaf77! Let's assume ##i,j,k## vary from ##1,2,3##. Then we have $$\delta_{11} \delta_{11} + \delta_{22} \delta_{22} + \delta_{33} \delta_{33} = 3 \neq \delta_{ik}$$

Did I miss something?
Why would ##i## and ##k## be summed?

And, if you sum them on the right hand side you would get equality.

Last edited:
PeroK said:
Why would ##i## and ##k## be summed?
That's what blue_leaf wrote.
blue_leaf77 said:
$$
\delta_{i1} \delta_{1k} + \delta_{i2} \delta_{2k} + \ldots + \delta_{iN} \delta_{Nk}
$$

Since ##i## and ##k## can range from 1,2,3 we would have$$\delta_{11} \delta_{11} + \delta_{21} \delta_{11} + \delta_{31} \delta_{11}+ \delta_{12} \delta_{21}+ \delta_{22} \delta_{21}+ \delta_{32} \delta_{21}+\cdots + \delta_{33} \delta_{33}\\=\delta_{11} \delta_{11}+\delta_{22} \delta_{22}+\delta_{33} \delta_{33}$$ which is why I was summing.

joshmccraney said:
That's what blue_leaf wrote.Since ##i## and ##k## can range from 1,2,3 we would have$$\delta_{11} \delta_{11} + \delta_{21} \delta_{11} + \delta_{31} \delta_{11}+ \delta_{12} \delta_{21}+ \delta_{22} \delta_{21}+ \delta_{32} \delta_{21}+\cdots + \delta_{33} \delta_{33}\\=\delta_{11} \delta_{11}+\delta_{22} \delta_{22}+\delta_{33} \delta_{33}$$ which is why I was summing.
blue leaf summed only ##j##, which is a repeated index.

Likes member 428835
PeroK said:
blue leaf summed only ##j##, which is a repeated index.
Ohhhhh I see now! Shoot, yea I was doing it all wrong! Thank you both!

Related to Kronecker Delta summation (easy)

What is the Kronecker Delta summation?

The Kronecker Delta summation, denoted by the symbol δ, is a mathematical function that has a value of 1 when the two indices are equal, and a value of 0 when the two indices are not equal. It is commonly used in mathematics, physics, and engineering.

What is the purpose of using Kronecker Delta summation?

The Kronecker Delta summation is used to simplify and manipulate mathematical expressions involving sums and products. It is particularly useful in expressing and solving systems of linear equations and in simplifying vector and matrix operations.

How is Kronecker Delta summation calculated?

The Kronecker Delta summation is calculated by substituting the value of the indices into the function. For example, δij would have a value of 1 when i=j and a value of 0 when i≠j.

What are some common applications of Kronecker Delta summation?

Kronecker Delta summation is commonly used in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to simplify and solve systems of linear equations, express vector and matrix operations, and in probability and statistics to denote events that are mutually exclusive.

What is the difference between Kronecker Delta summation and Kronecker Delta function?

Kronecker Delta summation and Kronecker Delta function are often used interchangeably, but there is a slight difference between the two. The Kronecker Delta function is a more general form that can have any number of indices, while the Kronecker Delta summation is specifically used for two indices. However, both have the same value of 1 when the indices are equal and 0 when they are not equal.