Showing that a certain summation is equal to a Dirac delta?

GCUEasilyDistracted
Homework Statement
Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur Exercise 3.1 (reworded a bit): Suppose we are working with a system defined in a volume of space ##V'##. For boson operators satisfying ##[\hat{a}_p, \hat{a}^{\dagger}_q] = \delta_{pq}## show that $$\frac{1}{V}\sum\limits_{pq}e^{i(p \cdot x - q \cdot y)}[\hat{a}_p, \hat{a}^{\dagger}_q] = \delta^{(3)}(x - y)$$, where ##V## is the magnitude of ##V'##. Show the same with fermion operators.
Relevant Equations
Seen above.
I'm studying Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur and feel like my math background for it is a bit shaky. This was my attempt at a derivation of the above. I know it's not rigorous, but is it at least conceptually right? I'll only show it for bosons since it's pretty much the same for fermions except the commutator is replaced with the anticommutator.

First note that
$$\frac{1}{V}\sum\limits_{pq}e^{i(p \cdot x - q \cdot y)}[\hat{a}_p, \hat{a}^{\dagger}_q]$$
$$= \frac{1}{V}\sum\limits_{pq}e^{i(p \cdot x - q \cdot y)}\delta_{pq}$$
$$= \frac{1}{V}\sum\limits_p e^{ip \cdot (x - y)}$$

To prove that the sum above is equivalent to ##\delta^{(3)}(x - y)##, we must show 2 things:

1. ##\frac{1}{V}\sum\limits_p e^{ip \cdot (x - y)} = 0## whenever ##x \neq y##
2. $$\int\limits_{V'} d^3x \frac{1}{V}\sum\limits_p e^{ip \cdot (x - y)} = 1$$

The first follows from the periodicity of ##e^{ip \cdot (x - y)}## [EDIT: the periodicity and the fact that for each value, the negative of that value will also appear within one period]. When ##x - y## is nonzero, each ##e^{ip \cdot (x - y)}## term will be cancelled out by some other term ##e^{ip' \cdot (x - y)}##.

For the second,
$$\int\limits_{V'} d^3x \frac{1}{V}\sum\limits_p e^{ip \cdot (x - y)}$$
$$= \frac{1}{V}\sum\limits_p \int\limits_{V'} d^3x e^{ip \cdot (x - y)}$$

Note that due to the same periodicity mentioned above, ##\int\limits_{V'} d^3x e^{ip \cdot (x - y)} = 0## when ##p \neq 0##. So

$$\frac{1}{V}\sum\limits_p \int\limits_{V'} d^3x e^{ip \cdot (x - y)}$$
$$= \frac{1}{V} \int\limits_{V'} d^3x e^{i(0) \cdot (x - y)}$$
$$= \frac{1}{V} \int\limits_{V'} d^3x$$
$$= \frac{1}{V}(V)$$
$$= 1$$

Therefore we have shown that

$$\frac{1}{V}\sum\limits_{pq}e^{i(p \cdot x - q \cdot y)}[\hat{a}_p, \hat{a}^{\dagger}_q] = \delta^{(3)}(x - y)$$

Does this make sense? Is there anything that should be corrected or made more rigorous? Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Likes sreerajt and vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
This is just the completeness of the functions ##\exp(\mathrm{i} \vec{p} \cdot \vec{x})## with ##\vec{p} \in \frac{2 \pi}{L} \mathbb{Z}^3## on the square-integrable functions on a cube with periodic boundary conditions. It's proven in many analysis textbooks dealing with Fourier Series.

1. How do you show that a certain summation is equal to a Dirac delta?

To show that a certain summation is equal to a Dirac delta function, you typically use the properties of the Dirac delta function, such as its sifting property and its definition as the limit of a sequence of functions.

2. What is the significance of proving a summation equals a Dirac delta?

Proving that a certain summation is equal to a Dirac delta function is important in signal processing, quantum mechanics, and other fields where the Dirac delta function is used to model point sources or impulses.

3. Can you provide an example of showing a summation equals a Dirac delta?

Sure, one common example is showing that the Fourier series of a periodic function converges to a Dirac delta function as the period approaches infinity.

4. Are there any challenges in proving a summation equals a Dirac delta?

Yes, one challenge is dealing with the properties of the Dirac delta function, such as its behavior under integration and multiplication. Careful mathematical analysis is required to rigorously prove the equality.

5. How is the concept of a Dirac delta function used in practical applications?

The Dirac delta function is used in various practical applications, such as in signal processing to model impulses or in quantum mechanics to represent point interactions. Understanding how to show a summation equals a Dirac delta can help in analyzing and solving problems in these areas.