Ksp equilibria AgCl data missing

In summary, there is a picture attached and the conversation is about solving a question with an unknown initial solution volume. The answer given is C, but there is missing information which could affect the result. One person suggests that the assumption should be no change in volume, while another person tries to solve it and gets a different answer. The question is intended to be about the limiting reagent, but it is incomplete without knowing the initial volume. It is mentioned that a volume of 2.4x106 L would result in no precipitate, which is roughly the size of an Olympic-size pool.
yolo123
Please look at attached picture.

So, I tried solving it. Apparently, the answer is C. But, I think there is missing information (ie the volume of the initial solution). Care to back me up on this?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 7.34.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 7.34.19 PM.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 450
Physics news on Phys.org
yolo123 said:
Please look at attached picture.

So, I tried solving it. Apparently, the answer is C. But, I think there is missing information (ie the volume of the initial solution). Care to back me up on this?
I back you up. Without knowing the volume of the solution, you could have these halogen ions dissolved in an ocean of solvent.

Chet

Maybe they meant to assume no change in volume.

Yellowflash: I tried it, but it gave me B) as an answer (2.58 g more precisely). I'm not sure I did all the steps correctly though.

It is intended to be a limiting reagent question, with Ksp values given only to help in determining the order of precipitation. But yes, it is incomplete. If the initial volume is 2.4x106 L there will be no precipitate at all. We are not talking about some absurd volumes, 2.4x106 L is almost exactly olympic-size pool.

1. What is Ksp and why is it important in equilibria calculations?

Ksp, or solubility product constant, is a measure of the maximum amount of a compound that can dissolve in a solvent at a given temperature. It is important in equilibria calculations because it helps determine the extent to which a compound will dissolve and form a solution. It also allows scientists to predict the formation of precipitates or the solubility of a compound in different solvents.

2. Why is data on Ksp equilibria for AgCl missing?

Data on Ksp equilibria for AgCl may be missing because it is a relatively insoluble compound and its exact Ksp value may be difficult to measure accurately. Additionally, the solubility of AgCl can vary depending on factors such as temperature and the presence of other ions in the solution, making it challenging to obtain consistent data.

3. How can scientists determine the Ksp value for AgCl?

Scientists can determine the Ksp value for AgCl by conducting experiments and measuring the solubility of the compound at different temperatures. They can also use theoretical calculations based on the properties of AgCl and its interactions with the solvent to estimate the Ksp value.

4. What impact does missing data on Ksp equilibria have on scientific research?

Missing data on Ksp equilibria can make it challenging for scientists to accurately model and predict reactions involving AgCl. It can also limit the understanding of the properties and behavior of AgCl in different environments, which can hinder the development of new technologies and applications that rely on this compound.

5. Are there any alternative methods for determining the solubility of AgCl?

Yes, there are alternative methods for determining the solubility of AgCl, such as using spectroscopic techniques or computational simulations. These methods can provide valuable insights into the behavior of AgCl and help fill in the missing data on its Ksp equilibria.