L bracket vs reverse L bracket

In summary, the naked L bracket is weaker than the reverse L bracket, but the reverse L bracket is stronger than the braced L bracket.
YKD
Hi all,
The photo is a reverse L-shaped bracket installed on the wall,
il_fullxfull.1323369177_5vbb.jpg

53483-01-1000.jpg

L or reverse L is of more supporting force if all things being equal? Why?
Thank you very much!

Attachments

• il_fullxfull.1323369177_5vbb.jpg
    il_fullxfull.1323369177_5vbb.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 4,066
  • 53483-01-1000.jpg
    53483-01-1000.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 4,030
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ask yourself the question where the weight is derived.

Thanks fresh_42,
This uses L-shaped
Bracket_InAction.jpg

Attachments

• Bracket_InAction.jpg
    Bracket_InAction.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 3,771
YKD said:
Thanks fresh_42,
This uses L-shaped
View attachment 227810
I assume that its gravity center is within the rear half of the weight, such that the component of the force in opposite direction of the screws is low and the main component is downwards. E.g.
upload_2018-7-8_18-30-4.png

Where does the main force on the screws go?

A similar picture can be drawn for the reverse L.

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-8_18-30-4.png
    upload_2018-7-8_18-30-4.png
    496 bytes · Views: 3,399
YKD said:
L or reverse L is of more supporting force if all things being equal?
I don't know what a "reverse" L-bracket is. Your pictures show a reinforced L-bracket and a non-reinforced L-bracket, so the answer to the question of which one is stronger seems kind of obvious, no?

Likes davenn
YKD said:
L or reverse L is of more supporting force if all things being equal? Why?
It depends upon what you mean by "stronger'. If you are talking in terms of ability to support a similar load using the same screws at the same points in the wall, the forces on the screws would be identical (as long as the unsupported l is strong enough not to deform and as long as the weight of the bracket can be ignored).
If you are thinking in terms of the strengths of the two structures then clearly the braced bracket would be much stronger because the naked L has to rely on the corner joint alone.
If you want a definitive answer to this then you must also make your question much better defined. Two separate diagrams (not photos) please with labels and reference letters on all parts of the diagram would be needed.

Thanks for the replies!
Sorry, make the questions more clear: which one is more supporting for the same heavy load?
Q1. A: naked L bracket vs B: reverse naked L bracket
Q2. C: braced L bracket vs D: reverse braced L bracket
Thank you so much!

Reverse L underneath is better than L, because more forces are derived into the wall instead of the screws. With a cross brace it's even better, because even more force is derived into the wall.

Of course such an answer depends also on the given situation, will say the dimensions and kind of screws and dowels, the material and kind of the wall, e.g. if it is hollow or not etc. But in general a supporting system is stronger than a hanging system.

Likes russ_watters
If fixed into wall material with screws, I see the Achille's heel here to be the topmost screw in a supporting L bracket (inverted L). That will be first to pull out of the wall as load on the shelf is increased. For a practical design to withstand maximum abuse, I'd favour the hanging braced L bracket above the shelf.

But the top most screw of an L design is equally at risk. The reverse L can be improved by a longer leg. A longer leg of an L design only increases the lever.

YKD said:
Thanks for the replies!
Sorry, make the questions more clear: which one is more supporting for the same heavy load?
Q1. A: naked L bracket vs B: reverse naked L bracket
Q2. C: braced L bracket vs D: reverse braced L bracket
Thank you so much!
IMO, they are the same to within a few percent. If I understand what you are calling "reversed" (whether the letter "L" is upright or upside-down when viewed from the side), then the only consideration is whether you can cut slots in the shelf to accommodate the brace for the "upright L" version of the bracket.

Why are you asking this?

fresh_42 said:
But the top most screw of an L design is equally at risk. The reverse L can be improved by a longer leg. A longer leg of an L design only increases the lever.
decreases

A longer vertical of a hanging bracket decreases the leverage the load has on the screw, and for most home installations it's the weak strength of the wall as anchor for a screw that is the point of failure.

NascentOxygen said:
decreases

A longer vertical of a hanging bracket decreases the leverage the load has on the screw, and for most home installations it's the weak strength of the wall as anchor for a screw that is the point of failure.
You can pretty much "tell' how strong a bracket is, just by looking or trying to flex it with your own strength. What the wall or fixings can take is more a matter of faith. Using all of the available screw holes in the bracket is a wise move if in doubt. A redundant structure gives confidence. One fixing is bound to end up in a weak mortar joint in a brick wall.

NascentOxygen said:
decreases
Yeah, right. What I meant was that the radius is larger and so the direction of the force on the screw is greater in its horizontal direction. To me the whole question is, how much force is supported by the wall in contrast to the screw. And that's why I favor the ##\lceil## because the wall beats the screw (I think - I should draw another picture though).

Your sample shows a strong bracket, so I conclude that the limitation in your proposed shelf resides in the uppermost screw's tendency to pull out of the typical wall material. For the sample supplied, I'd estimate the L support to be able to carry up to 3 times the load of the inverted-L, assuming the bracket itself doesn't break.

Rotating forces are shown, with the pivot point lying somewhere in the region of the ∆ markers, depending on flexure of the vertical arm. By my estimate, the load here has a leverage advantage over the screw's holding force of something like ×2 – ×5, meaning it looks like it could be much easier for the load to overcome the hold of the uppermost wall screw in this configuration.

shelf_arrowed.jpg

Attachments

• shelf_arrowed.jpg
    shelf_arrowed.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 2,261

1. What is an "L bracket" and a "reverse L bracket" in science?

An "L bracket" and a "reverse L bracket" are both types of brackets used in structural engineering and construction. They are commonly made of metal or other durable materials and are used to support and strengthen structures such as beams, walls, and roofs.

2. What is the difference between an L bracket and a reverse L bracket?

The main difference between an L bracket and a reverse L bracket is their orientation. An L bracket has one side that is longer than the other, forming an "L" shape. A reverse L bracket has one side that is shorter than the other, forming a "reverse L" shape.

3. When should I use an L bracket versus a reverse L bracket?

The decision to use an L bracket or a reverse L bracket depends on the specific structural needs of your project. Generally, L brackets are better suited for supporting horizontal loads, while reverse L brackets are better for supporting vertical loads.

4. Are there any other considerations when choosing between an L bracket and a reverse L bracket?

In addition to load requirements, other factors to consider when choosing between an L bracket and a reverse L bracket include the size and weight of the structure, the materials being used, and the overall design and layout of the project.

5. Can an L bracket and a reverse L bracket be used together?

Yes, L brackets and reverse L brackets can be used together to provide additional support and stability to a structure. This is often done in cases where both horizontal and vertical loads need to be supported.