L-shaped tank problem; forces due to water pressure

In summary: The wall area is 49 m2 but I can't figure out what integration... sorry for being so vague, can you please clarify?
Any Help

Homework Statement

HELP! L-shaped tank problem! figure: http://www.webassign.net/hrw/hrw7_14-33.gif

The L-shaped tank shown below is filled with water and is open at the top.
(a) If d = 7.0 m, what is the force on face A due to the water?
(b) What is the force on face B due to the water?

hrw7_14-33.gif

Homework Equations

F=PA
P=pgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I've got the (a) part right: pgd*A = 1000*9.8*14*49 = 6722800.

However, I don't have a clue how I can get pressure on face B!

Physics news on Phys.org
You should work with units.

What is the pressure (not force) at the top of B? What is the pressure at the bottom? Optional: What is the pressure at a height x above the bottom? How can you combine this information?

Likes Any Help
The tank is open from the top,dont you think atmospheric pressure should be added? Do you remember the law which states that fluids in closed systems transmit the same pressure at every surface of the closed vessel?

Likes Any Help
Any Help said:
However, I don't have a clue how I can get pressure on face B!
If your course materials don't give you a "canned" formula for finding the net force on underwater vertical surfaces then presumably you'll be expected to derive them. What is your math background? Is a bit of calculus an option here?

Zypheros_Knight said:
The tank is open from the top,dont you think atmospheric pressure should be added?
No for two reasons:
1) The question specifically asks for the force due to the water.
2) The force due to air pressure will exist on both sides of an external tank wall, cancelling out.

Likes Any Help
Pressure at Bottom=ρgh
=1000*9.81*21
=206010 Pa
Pressure at Top=137340 Pa

Find the average and then substitute in P=F/A, face B's geometrical center is exactly at 3.5m so you can find the average force.

DONT QUOTE ME!

Last edited:
Likes Any Help
Providing full answers is against the forum rules, but your answer is wrong anyway. The pressure varies across the surface of B.

Likes Any Help
gneill said:
If your course materials don't give you a "canned" formula for finding the net force on underwater vertical surfaces then presumably you'll be expected to derive them. What is your math background? Is a bit of calculus an option here?No for two reasons:
1) The question specifically asks for the force due to the water.
2) The force due to air pressure will exist on both sides of an external tank wall, cancelling out.

I think calculus is not an option here as this is just high-school physics and sorry for my presumption, I thought that the question required the total force in one direction.( BTW for your second reason the resultant force is zero! Just 'Force' is a vector so you have to be specific otherwise the resultant force at B is 0 N if you know what I mean:wink:)

Likes Any Help
mfb said:
Providing full answers is against the forum rules, but your answer is wrong anyway. The pressure varies across the surface of B.

Oh sorry then...BTW I know what you mean but the question asks for ''Average Force'' at B
Edited: Now it doesn't give a full answer hope I helped!

Last edited:
Likes Any Help
https://www.physicsforums.com/members/zypheros_knight.605857/ mfb gneill
can't we make an integral for force between 2d and 3d
then F=integral(density.g.d.A) with boundaries from 2d to 3d

Any Help said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/members/zypheros_knight.605857/ mfb gneill
can't we make an integral for force between 2d and 3d
then F=integral(density.g.d.A) with boundaries from 2d to 3d
You can. Although it might be more instructive to take a general case first. It's a standard result that you can then use whenever this sort of problem pops up.

Likes Any Help
gneill said:
You can. Although it might be more instructive to take a general case first. It's a standard result that you can then use whenever this sort of problem pops up.
then it will be density.g.A.(9d^2-4d^2)/2=1000x9.8x49x245/2= 58824500N please check my answer if I'm solving it correctly

Any Help said:
then it will be density.g.A.(9d^2-4d^2)/2=1000x9.8x49x245/2= 58824500N please check my answer if I'm solving it correctly
Its wrong,BTW is this a high-school based question or a college based one because both will have different requirements? And please show your working (I haven't reached integration in my course!)

Likes Any Help
Any Help said:
Can you go into detail about how you arrived at your formula? I suspect that you've made a slip regarding how the wall area fits into your result.

Likes Any Help
gneill said:
Can you go into detail about how you arrived at your formula? I suspect that you've made a slip regarding how the wall area fits into your result.
The wall area is 49 m2 but I can't figure out what integration method he used

Likes Any Help
gneill said:
gneill said:
Zypheros_Knight said:
The wall area is 49 m2 but I can't figure out what integration method he used
forget it, okay area =49 now what ??

Any Help said:
forget it, okay area =49 now what ??
Your formula is pretty close to correct, but I believe you made a error when you introduced the area during your derivation. I really do suggest that you do the derivation for a general case, forgetting the multiples of d for the moment. Just assign a starting and ending depth to two variables. No numbers for now, just symbols.

Likes Any Help
Any Help said:
Two ways to check:

- if you would have worked with units as I suggested in post #2 you would have noted your mistake directly at the point where you introduced it because the units stop matching there
- while B is a bit deeper than A, the pressure there is not completely different, and A and B have the same area. The value for B should be a bit higher, but certainly not 10 times the result for A.

Likes Any Help

1. What is the L-shaped tank problem?

The L-shaped tank problem is a mathematical problem that involves determining the forces exerted on a tank due to water pressure. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to understand the distribution of forces in complex structures.

2. How do you calculate the forces due to water pressure in an L-shaped tank?

The forces due to water pressure in an L-shaped tank can be calculated by using the formula F = ρgh, where F is the force, ρ is the density of water, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the water column. This formula applies to both horizontal and vertical walls of the tank.

3. What factors affect the forces due to water pressure in an L-shaped tank?

The forces due to water pressure in an L-shaped tank are affected by the depth of the water, the shape and orientation of the tank, and the density of the water. The forces also vary depending on the location within the tank.

4. How can the forces due to water pressure be minimized in an L-shaped tank?

The forces due to water pressure in an L-shaped tank can be minimized by reducing the depth of the water, using a more compact or streamlined tank design, and choosing a less dense liquid to fill the tank. Adding additional support structures can also help distribute the forces more evenly.

5. What real-life applications use the L-shaped tank problem?

The L-shaped tank problem has many real-life applications, such as in the design and construction of water storage tanks, swimming pools, and dams. It is also used in the study of buoyancy and stability of ships and submarines.