LAB: Ballistic Pendulum + Conservation of Momentum

In summary: Will momentum be conserved while the pendulum is swinging? Explain.-No, momentum is not conserved while the pendulum is swinging. There is a time interval, say t, between the moment the paintball and bob collide and the moment the pendulum starts swinging. During this time interval, the momentum of the system is not conserved.
Ariel P
I'm doing the prelab questions which require conceptual questions, not so much of math.
The experiment is a typical ballistic pendulum lab - you'd shoot a paintball twoard a pendulum bob, and you measure the height the pendulum bob reaches after collision to calculate the related velocities.

Homework Statement

#1 Define the paintball plus pendulum bob as a system at the instant that the paintball collides with the bob. Do any external forces act on this system?
#2 Will momentum be conserved during the collision? Is any approximation involved?
#3 Will momentum be conserved while the pendulum is swinging? Explain.
#4 Since the velocity and therefore the momentum of the pendulum and ball are zero at the height h (this would be the max height), how can we say that momentum is conserved in the experiment?
#5 Comment on the following statement: "The momentum of the paintball and bob could not be conserved in this experiment because of the large frictional forces between the bob and the entering paintball."

Homework Equations

These questions are conceptual I think but relevant equations would be
Pi = Pf
m_ball * v_ball = (m_pend + m_ball) * v_pend

The Attempt at a Solution

#1 Define the paintball plus pendulum bob as a system at the instant that the paintball collides with the bob. Do any external forces act on this system?
-I'm not so sure what it means by define them as a system...
-I said external forces would be gravity and air resistance (friction)

#2 Will momentum be conserved during the collision? Is any approximation involved?
-I said yes, conserved.
-I'm not sure what it's asking for "approximation"

-I said no because after collision, KE and PE are conserved but momentum is not conserved.
-I first thought it'd be because velocity is continuously lost while the pendulum reaches the top.
-I'm not sure what the correct reasoning would be.

#4 Since the velocity and therefore the momentum of the pendulum and ball are zero at the height h (this would be the max height), how can we say that momentum is conserved in the experiment?
-I'd say the momentum is conserved at the moment they are colliding but not for the entire experiment. Although there are external forces acting (which would bring the ball to stop at max height), just before and after the collision, the momentum of system would be nearly equal as long as the collision interaction is brief.

#5 Comment on the following statement: "The momentum of the paintball and bob could not be conserved in this experiment because of the large frictional forces between the bob and the entering paintball."
-If there's no momentum conserved, the bob would remain in its initial position since there's no momentum delivered from the paintball to the bob?

Even partial helps would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Ariel, welcome to PF.:smile:

Ariel P said:
I'm doing the prelab questions which require conceptual questions, not so much of math.
The experiment is a typical ballistic pendulum lab - you'd shoot a paintball twoard a pendulum bob, and you measure the height the pendulum bob reaches after collision to calculate the related velocities.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

These questions are conceptual I think but relevant equations would be
Pi = Pf
m_ball * v_ball = (m_pend + m_ball) * v_pend

The Attempt at a Solution

-I'm not so sure what it means by define them as a system...
-I said external forces would be gravity and air resistance (friction)

Consider the paintball and bob only. Gravity is an external force and there is some air resistance, too, but the force of the string the bob is attached to is also an external force for this system.

Ariel P said:
-I said yes, conserved.
-I'm not sure what it's asking for "approximation"
Yes, we always assume that the momentum is conserved during a collision. Collision is a sudden event, happens in a very short time. Change of momentum is equal to impulse, FΔt. If the collision acts for such short time that FΔt is negligible, we can say that the momentum is conserved during the collision. Gravity is a constant force, but we can not say anything about the tension in the string during collision. But the tension is vertical at the moment of collision, the change of momentum is horizontal. The tension does not influence momentum change during the collision.
Ariel P said:
-I said no because after collision, KE and PE are conserved but momentum is not conserved.
-I first thought it'd be because velocity is continuously lost while the pendulum reaches the top.
-I'm not sure what the correct reasoning would be.
You are right, the momentum is not conserved while the bob is swinging. It is again "change of momentum = FΔt" If the time passes FΔt can not be ignored.
Ariel P said:
-I'd say the momentum is conserved at the moment they are colliding but not for the entire experiment. Although there are external forces acting (which would bring the ball to stop at max height), just before and after the collision, the momentum of system would be nearly equal as long as the collision interaction is brief.
Exact!
Ariel P said:
-If there's no momentum conserved, the bob would remain in its initial position since there's no momentum delivered from the paintball to the bob?

Think of the forces of interaction between the paintball and bob. The paintball exerts some force F on the bob and the bob exerts force -F on the paintball. The change of momentum of the bob is Δp(bob)=FΔt, the change of momentum of the paintball is Δp(paintball)=-FΔt. What is the net change of momentum of the system paintball + bob?

ehild

Thanks a lot!
Great help with great explanations :)
I'm going to use this forum very often from now!

Ariel P said:
Thanks a lot!
Great help with great explanations :)
I'm going to use this forum very often from now!

I hope you will do :smile:

ehild

1. The paintball plus pendulum bob can be defined as a system because they are physically connected and interact with each other during the collision. External forces such as gravity and air resistance do act on the system.

2. Momentum will be conserved during the collision because there are no external forces acting on the system in the horizontal direction. There may be some approximation involved in neglecting air resistance and assuming an elastic collision between the paintball and bob.

3. Momentum will not be conserved while the pendulum is swinging because external forces, such as air resistance and friction, act on the system and cause a loss of momentum. The net external force acting on the system is not zero, therefore momentum cannot be conserved.

4. Although the velocity and momentum of the pendulum and ball are zero at the maximum height, momentum is still conserved in the experiment. This is because momentum is conserved at the moment of collision, and the external forces acting on the system do not change the total momentum of the system.

5. The statement is incorrect. The large frictional forces between the bob and the entering paintball do not prevent momentum conservation in the experiment. The external forces may cause a decrease in the momentum of the system, but they do not prevent momentum from being conserved.

1. How does a ballistic pendulum work?

A ballistic pendulum is a device used to measure the velocity of a projectile. It consists of a pendulum bob suspended by a string or rod. When a projectile strikes the bob, it causes the pendulum to swing. By measuring the height of the pendulum swing, the velocity of the projectile can be calculated using the principles of conservation of momentum.

2. What is the principle of conservation of momentum?

The principle of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, regardless of any internal changes or external forces acting on the system. This means that the initial momentum of a system before a collision or interaction is equal to the final momentum after the collision or interaction.

3. How is the velocity of a projectile calculated using a ballistic pendulum?

The velocity of a projectile can be calculated using the equation m1v1 = (m1 + m2)v2, where m1 is the mass of the projectile, v1 is the initial velocity of the projectile, m2 is the mass of the pendulum bob, and v2 is the final velocity of the combined system after the collision. By rearranging the equation, the initial velocity of the projectile can be calculated as v1 = (m1 + m2)v2/m1.

4. How do variations in the setup affect the accuracy of a ballistic pendulum?

The accuracy of a ballistic pendulum can be affected by several factors, including the angle of release, the height of the pendulum bob, and air resistance. An incorrect angle of release can result in a lower or higher measured velocity, while a higher pendulum bob can reduce the amount of energy absorbed by the pendulum and lead to an overestimation of the projectile's velocity. Air resistance can also cause discrepancies in the calculated velocity.

5. What are some real-life applications of ballistic pendulums?

Ballistic pendulums have several practical applications, including measuring the velocity of projectiles such as bullets and arrows, studying the conservation of momentum in collisions, and testing the performance of various materials in stopping projectiles. They are also used in forensic investigations to determine the velocity and direction of bullets in shootings.