Lab: Conical Pendulum - Understanding A & Unit

In summary, the conversation is about a lab where the speaker graphed the Period vs Length of a string and got the formula $T=A\sqrt{L}$, but is unsure of the meaning and unit of the value A. A possible answer is that the dimension of 1/A^2 is time*length^-3/2, and the speaker is reminded to use ## for in-line math and $$ for displayed math in PF.
Helenah
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing
So I'm doing a lab in class, and when I graphed the Period vs Length of the string, I got it in the form $T=A\sqrt{L}$, but I don't really know what the value $A$ represents nor what its unit is... Can someone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Helenah, :welcome:
Helenah said:
So I'm doing a lab in class, and when I graphed the Period vs Length of the string, I got it in the form $T=A\sqrt{L}$, but I don't really know what the value $A$ represents nor what its unit is... Can someone help me?
Would you know the answer for a simple pendulum ?

T is time, L is length, so for your A you have [A] = ##\rm {time} \; {length}^{-{1\over 2}} ##

( So what is the dimenson of 1/A2 ? )And: in PF you get in-line math using the tags ## and displayed math using the tags $$
instead of a single $ sign.

1. What is a conical pendulum?

A conical pendulum is a pendulum consisting of a weight suspended by a string or rod that is attached to a pivot point. Unlike a traditional pendulum that swings back and forth in a single plane, a conical pendulum swings in a circular motion in a horizontal plane.

2. How is the period of a conical pendulum calculated?

The period of a conical pendulum can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the string, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is the purpose of the "A & Unit" lab?

The "A & Unit" lab is designed to help students understand the relationship between the length of the string and the period of a conical pendulum, as well as how to calculate and measure these values using different units of measurement.

4. How does the angle of the string affect the motion of a conical pendulum?

The angle of the string affects the motion of a conical pendulum by changing the radius of the circular motion. As the angle increases, the radius decreases, resulting in a shorter period and faster motion. As the angle decreases, the radius increases, resulting in a longer period and slower motion.

5. What are some real-life applications of a conical pendulum?

A conical pendulum can be used to measure the acceleration due to gravity, as well as to demonstrate the principles of circular motion. It is also used in amusement park rides and as a tool for measuring the speed and direction of wind currents in meteorology.