Labeling Axes in Mathematica: How to Define Range of Y-Axis | Tips & Tricks

In summary, you can label and customize the font and size of the axes in a Mathematica plot using the options FrameLabel, AxesLabel, and LabelStyle. To rotate the labels, you can use the RotateLabel option. Additionally, you can add labels to specific data points using the Epilog option and change the position of the axis labels with the LabelPosition option.
adnan jahan
Dear Fellows
I am working on Mathematica and found my graph successfully but the problem only I am having is how to label my graph,

command of my plot is

Plot [Re, {x, 0, 1}, Frame -> True]
which shows the range of x-axis but I also want to define range of my y-axis ,,,

can anybody help me in this regard..

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Plot [Re, {x, 0, 1}, Frame -> True,PlotRange -> {{0, 1.2}, {1, -5}}]
thanks DaleSpam

1. How do I label the x and y axes in a Mathematica plot?

To label the axes in a Mathematica plot, you can use the FrameLabel or AxesLabel options. For example, Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 2Pi}, AxesLabel -> {"x", "y"}] will label the x-axis as "x" and the y-axis as "y".

2. Can I customize the font and size of the axis labels in a Mathematica plot?

Yes, you can use the LabelStyle option to customize the font and size of the axis labels. For example, Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 2Pi}, AxesLabel -> {"x", "y"}, LabelStyle -> Directive[FontFamily -> "Arial", FontSize -> 12]] will use the Arial font with a font size of 12 for the axis labels.

3. How can I rotate the axis labels in a Mathematica plot?

To rotate the axis labels in a Mathematica plot, you can use the RotateLabel option. For example, Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 2Pi}, AxesLabel -> {Rotate["x", 90 Degree], Rotate["y", 90 Degree]}] will rotate the x-axis label by 90 degrees clockwise and the y-axis label by 90 degrees counterclockwise.

4. Is there a way to add a label to a specific data point in a Mathematica plot?

Yes, you can use the Epilog option to add labels to specific data points in a Mathematica plot. For example, Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 2Pi}, Epilog -> {Text["Maximum", {Pi/2, 1}]}] will add the label "Maximum" to the data point at (Pi/2, 1).

5. Can I change the position of the axis labels in a Mathematica plot?

Yes, you can use the LabelPosition option to change the position of the axis labels in a Mathematica plot. For example, Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 2Pi}, AxesLabel -> {"x", "y"}, LabelPosition -> Right] will position the axis labels on the right side of the plot instead of the default bottom position.