Laboratory Book: how do you organize it?

In summary, researchers and PhD students typically use lab notebooks to organize their experiments and keep track of their work. These lab notebooks are usually specific to a particular project and are not allowed to leave the lab. Some students prefer a specific format, such as a normal college-ruled notebook, while others have a specific method that they were taught in high school. Each project has its own notebook, unless it is small and can be included in a miscellaneous book. The lab notebook typically includes a title page, table of contents, and chronological entries with detailed notes, calculations, and references. It is important to keep the lab notebook organized and clear to avoid any potential complications.
w.shockley
This topic is for researchers/PhD students.
How do you organize your own lab book?
i.e. in the case you have different projects, do you organize your day experiments chronologically or by project?
Which format do you prefer? ruled, squared, a4, a5...etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
Normal college-ruled notebook, but the composition book type (black marble, etc.)... Different notebook for each project, keeping them all chronologically.

I was taught a specific method in HS and never looked back. I've added a bit of my own style but not too much deviance.

I use National's quad, redish brown cover. Numbered pages, cloth spine and heavy duty cover. I won't use anything else.

Each project has it's own book, unless it's small, then it goes into the "misc" book. Where I will detail small (30 pgs max) and with a division of each project clearly marked.

There is always a title page, with name, start date, any collaborator's names. Generally I put the institution as well, and the group I work within. From there, there is a table of contents that I leave a few pages (4, front and back) as room to grow.

Each day's work is done chronologically, with a time of start and end, in addition to the date. There is always 1/2'' I use for footer notes. All foot notes are dated and done in green pen. There is a clear distinction between the foot notes and the original work.

IF I conduct research in a new lab or strange location, I make note of it. It'll be under the day's title/date. I like to keep track of when I'm in a different location just in case something wonky happens that day.

I use a black pen for all my calculations and only single-line scratch out incorrect work or words. Green pen for foot notes, and red pen for special occasions where an adviser noted something. This is rare, as I'm a stickler for accuracy. If it's not critical, I'll put a sticky note in, written in red pen.

If a collaborator has to use my book for any sort of sample prep, they are to follow my format, and indicate that they were doing the work. I also require them to sign their name at the end of the entry. I've only had to do this once, and it makes me feel icky. Even though they were only putting in some dilution calculations and making some samples for me. It seems weird regardless. I want it to be clearly indicated that they were in my book.

I also have 10 pages front and back at the end of the notebook saved for references. If I source work during my research, I will put the citation there, by hand. It's nice to have there. If I reference it within the lab book, I will indicate so in the footnotes. This includes equations and methods from textbooks. Even if it isn't going to go into the paper to be written, it's nice for me to personally have. I have a crazy brain, and I like the reminder. "Oh ---? Where did I get this from?" With a note of the text it was from, I can easily remind myself.

Edit: The book stays in the lab. If I need additional copies of information, I take a photo copy, and indicate in the footnote that a photo copy was made of said page, at what time, and for what purpose. All additional photo copies are returned to the lab book or destroyed. It depends on what I'm working on.

It needs to be explicitly clear what I was doing, step by step. And as neatly as possible.

Last edited:
w.shockley said:
This topic is for researchers/PhD students.
How do you organize your own lab book?
i.e. in the case you have different projects, do you organize your day experiments chronologically or by project?
Which format do you prefer? ruled, squared, a4, a5...etc.

You need to clarify a bit more. Are these lab books specific to a set of experiments? Or are these you own personal lab notes/books.

Please note that if you are being paid to do the work, the lab notebook is a property of your employer, not your property. In fact, it can become an official document if there is a dispute with regards to the work done. So each lab note book is specific to a particular experiment or instrument and STAYS with that experiment or instrument, no matter who uses it.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
You need to clarify a bit more. Are these lab books specific to a set of experiments? Or are these you own personal lab notes/books.

Please note that if you are being paid to do the work, the lab notebook is a property of your employer, not your property. In fact, it can become an official document if there is a dispute with regards to the work done. So each lab note book is specific to a particular experiment or instrument and STAYS with that experiment or instrument, no matter who uses it.

Zz.

PhD student.
Usually PhD students carry out different projects.
My own lab book.

I'm an undergrad, but did work with grads.

Our books were not to leave the lab, period. If we needed anything from it, we were to take a photocopy or notes. If it were to be lost, it would not only be a waste, but potentially quite an issue.

To avoid any possible complications, it was never to leave the lab and at night, it was stored on the lab-book shelf in our group "office". I quote office because it was more like some desks and tables shoved into a small space, but hey, we had a bookshelf! The furthest a lab notebook ever got would be up a few floors to our advisers' office.

So, I am by no means an expert, however, I can't imagine what I've seen is much different than what happens everywhere.

What's wrong with it? It's nicely organized.

Yes, indeed. I really like it!

1. How should I label my laboratory book?

It is important to have a clear and consistent labeling system for your laboratory book. You can use a combination of the date, experiment or project name, and your initials or lab ID. This will help you easily identify and locate specific entries in your book.

2. What information should be included in each entry of the laboratory book?

Each entry should include the date, a brief description of the experiment or project, any materials or equipment used, and detailed observations and results. It is also important to note any changes made to the experimental procedure, as well as any unexpected events or errors.

3. How often should I update my laboratory book?

Your laboratory book should be updated in real-time as you conduct your experiments or work on your project. This will ensure that all important information is accurately recorded and that you do not forget any important details.

4. Should I use pen or pencil to record my entries?

It is recommended to use a pen with archival quality ink to record your entries. This will ensure that your notes do not fade over time and will be legible for future reference. However, if you make a mistake, it is acceptable to cross it out neatly and write the correct information above or next to it.

5. How should I store my laboratory book?

Your laboratory book should be stored in a cool, dry place away from any potential hazards such as chemicals or water. It is also important to keep it in a location where it will not be lost or damaged. Some scientists choose to make a digital copy of their book as an additional backup.