Ladder on rough ground against rough wall

In summary, the problem involves a ladder with length l and mass m leaning against a vertical rough wall with coefficients of friction μ for both contact surfaces. The task is to find the smallest angle between the ladder and the floor, which is given by θ = tan-1[(1-μ2)/(2μ)]. Both frictions at the ends of the ladder must be static for the ladder to not move.
Yoonique
1. Homework Statement
A ladder on the rough floor is leaning against a vertical rough wall. The ladder has length l and mass m. The coefficients of friction are μ for both contact surfaces. What is the smallest angle between the ladder and the floor?

Homework Equations

∑F=ma
∑τ = F⊥ r
fs ≤ μsN

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Snapshot.jpg

∑Fy = 0
N2 + f1 - W = 0

∑Fx = 0
f2 - N1 = 0
f2 = N1

∑τ about the ground = 0
N1lsinθ + f1lcosθ - W(l/2)(cosθ) = 0

For θ to be the smallest angle, what is the condition? Is it f1 = μN1 or f2 = μN2 or both of them need to happen at the same time?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can the ladder move if the friction is static at some of the contact surfaces at the ends of the ladder?

ehild said:
Can the ladder move if the friction is static at some of the contact surfaces at the ends of the ladder?
I think the ladder can't move if one the friction is static. So both must happen at the same time.

Last edited:
Okay, I finally managed to solve it. θ = tan-1[1-μ2/(2u)]. Thanks ehild!

Yoonique said:
Okay, I finally managed to solve it. θ = tan-1[1-μ2/(2u)]. Thanks ehild!
Are you sure that ##\theta= \tan^{-1}\left(1 - \frac{ \mu^2 }{2 \mu }\right)## ? Why you do not simplify with μ? Or some parentheses missing? :devil:

ehild said:
Are you sure that ##\theta= \tan^{-1}\left(1 - \frac{ \mu^2 }{2 \mu }\right)## ? Why you do not simplify with μ? Or some parentheses missing? :devil:
Oh it is a typo! Should be θ = tan-1[(1-μ2)/(2μ)]. Thanks anyway!

Yoonique said:
Oh it is a typo! Should be θ = tan-1[(1-μ2)/(2μ)]. Thanks anyway!
It is correct now. Nice work!

1. How can I ensure that the ladder is secure on rough ground?

To ensure that the ladder is secure on rough ground, you should place it on a level and stable surface. If the ground is too uneven, you can use a ladder stabilizer or dig small holes to stabilize the feet of the ladder. Additionally, make sure to engage the ladder's locking mechanisms and have a spotter hold the ladder while you climb.

2. Is it safe to use a ladder against a rough wall?

Using a ladder against a rough wall can be safe as long as the ladder is properly secured and the wall is stable. Make sure to inspect the wall for any loose or crumbling sections before placing the ladder against it. You can also use a ladder standoff to create a safer distance between the ladder and the wall.

3. Can I use a ladder with a damaged foot on rough ground?

No, it is not safe to use a ladder with a damaged foot on any surface, especially rough ground. The damaged foot can cause the ladder to wobble or slip, increasing the risk of falls and injuries. It is essential to replace damaged ladder feet before use.

4. How should I position the ladder on rough ground against a rough wall?

To position the ladder on rough ground against a rough wall, follow these steps: 1. Make sure the ladder is on a stable and level surface. 2. Place the ladder at a 75-degree angle from the ground. 3. Have the feet of the ladder at least one-quarter of the ladder's height away from the wall. 4. Use a ladder stabilizer or dig small holes to secure the feet of the ladder if needed.

5. What should I do if I feel the ladder is unstable while using it on rough ground?

If you feel the ladder is unstable while using it on rough ground, stop using it immediately. Re-evaluate the ladder's placement and make sure it is on a level and stable surface. You can also use a ladder stabilizer or have a spotter hold the ladder while you climb. If the ladder continues to feel unstable, consider using a different ladder or postponing the task until you can secure the ladder's stability.