Ladder resting against wall(equilibrium)

• Thread starter dvvv
  • Start date
In summary, the ladder slips if the angle between the ladder and the horizontal is less than 45 degrees.
dvvv

Homework Statement

A uniform ladder rests against a smooth wall and a rough floor with a coefficient of friction 1/2. Find the angle at which the ladder slips.

Homework Equations

N = mg?
M = d*F

The Attempt at a Solution

I said N1 was the normal force from the floor onto the ladder, and [STRIKE]N1[/STRIKE] N2 was the normal force from the wall onto the ladder. The frictional force is 1/2*N1.
I put the vertical and horizontal forces equal to each other and I got
N1 = mg
and N2 = 1/2*N1 = 1/2*mg

Then I should put the anti-clockwise and clockwise moments equal to each other, although I'm not really sure how to do this part.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use a free body diagram for the ladder.

I assume you meant to say that N2 is the normal force the wall exerts on the ladder.

Find the moments about some point on the ladder, I suggest using the point at which the ladder contacts the ground.

Assuming that the ladder has uniform mass distribution, its center of mass is at its center.

It's as if the force of gravity acts at the ladder's center of mass.

attachment.php?attachmentid=33657&stc=1&d=1301349114.png

if you take net torque to be equal to 0 at A

so torque due to mg = torque due to N2

n1 and f has 0 torques

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 2,016
@ cupid.callin.

I see that our responses were ~2 minutes apart. They compliment each other quite well.

Looking at this problem reminds me of that ladder problem in that list of questions you posted a while back. Usually the wall doesn't produce much friction, so I think the ladder's bottom is more likely to "kick out" when a person is near the top, rather than near the bottom. (The person on the ladder may be viewed as shifting the C.M. up or down the ladder.)

I was unsure what to do with N1 and f, but I guess it makes sense that the torque is zero since there is no distance. The diagram also helps.

torque due to mg = torque due to N2
I said d was the length of the ladder.
1/2*d*mg*sin(theta) = d*1/2*mg*cos(theta)
then I get tan(theta) = 1
so theta = 45
So if theta is less than 45 the ladder slips.

I'm not sure if I used cos and sin in the right place. I think sin is for vertical, that's why I used it for the force on mg.

Thanks for your help.

Define θ.

The angle the ladder makes with the horizontal? OR is it the angle the ladder makes with the vertical?

With the horizontal, is what I thought.

dvvv said:
With the horizontal, is what I thought.

Then your sin & cos should be switched.

mg is vertical and N2 is horizontal, that's why I picked what I did. Clearly I'm not looking at it the right way. I'm not sure how you work it out.

What is the moment arm in each case and/or how is torque defined?

SammyS said:
@ cupid.callin.

I see that our responses were ~2 minutes apart. They compliment each other quite well.

Looking at this problem reminds me of that ladder problem in that list of questions you posted a while back. Usually the wall doesn't produce much friction, so I think the ladder's bottom is more likely to "kick out" when a person is near the top, rather than near the bottom. (The person on the ladder may be viewed as shifting the C.M. up or down the ladder.)

Hi Sammy

Yes you are right. While i was doing that chapter i encountered quite a complex numerical problem and unknowingly i solved the ladder question i posted while doing that problem.
But i still haven't been able to answer that weight balance problem.

@ dvvv

magnitude of Torque about a point is defined as force multiplied by the perpendicular distance of line of force from the point

for example like this:
attachment.php?attachmentid=33680&stc=1&d=1301385131.png

Here torque, τ = Fd

Thats why Sammy asked you to switch your sin and cos

but remember that this doesn't tell the direction

for direction use:

[tex]\vec{\tau} = \vec{r} X \vec{F}[/tex]

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    760 bytes · Views: 1,040
Ok, I get it now, thanks.

Related to Ladder resting against wall(equilibrium)

1. What is equilibrium?

Equilibrium is a state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no net movement or acceleration.

2. How does a ladder resting against a wall achieve equilibrium?

When a ladder is resting against a wall, the force of gravity pulling the ladder downwards is balanced by the normal force from the wall pushing upwards on the ladder. This results in the ladder being in a state of equilibrium.

3. What factors affect the equilibrium of a ladder resting against a wall?

The weight of the ladder, the angle at which it is leaning against the wall, and the coefficient of friction between the ladder and the ground all affect the equilibrium of a ladder resting against a wall.

4. Is it safe to lean a ladder against a wall?

As long as the ladder is stable and properly positioned, it is generally safe to lean a ladder against a wall. However, it is important to follow proper ladder safety guidelines and ensure that the ladder is not too steep or too far away from the wall.

5. How can I make sure that a ladder is in equilibrium when resting against a wall?

To ensure that a ladder is in equilibrium, you can use a level to make sure that it is not leaning too far in any direction. Additionally, be sure to place the base of the ladder on a stable and level surface and check that the ladder is securely positioned against the wall.