Lagrangian and External Forces

In summary, Lagrangian mechanics can be used to analyze external forces, like a hand pushing on an object, but it's not the most convenient way to do so.
cmmcnamara
Hi all,

Doing some self-study on Lagrangian uses on the internet and I'm getting it pretty well thus far, but I'm just not sure how external forces fit in exactly. Up until now I've only tackled problems with gravity and constraints involved but intuitively I know that kinetic and potential energies can't describe the systems as a whole since external forces don't factor in that way. Is there something that shows a derivation/example (where I imagine work fits in) that someone might link me to? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
External forces like constraint forces can be analyzed in Lagrangian mechanics using Lagrange multipliers.

Sadly, I have forgotten some of the details, so I can't help you here off the top of my head.

intuitively I know that kinetic and potential energies can't describe the systems as a whole

Why not? Why can't the external forces just be included in the potential energy side of the equation?

The reason I don't think it can describe it full is because it takes kinetic and potential energies into account but not the influence of a non-gravitational external force; I'm thinking a work term would be needed. I'm not sure, I'm still learning the methodology here. Could you provide me with some examples perhaps?

cmmcnamara said:
The reason I don't think it can describe it full is because it takes kinetic and potential energies into account but not the influence of a non-gravitational external force; I'm thinking a work term would be needed. I'm not sure, I'm still learning the methodology here. Could you provide me with some examples perhaps?

The two fundamental macroscopic forces of nature, gravity and electromagnetism, can be described using a Lagrangian framework. Although, in the case of a magnetic field, the Lagrangian is not L=T-V since there is no "potential" (V) for a magnetic field.

If you are talking about "external force" like "my hand pushing on this object", where the force applied is not expressible as a gradient of a potential, then there is no really convenient way to include that into a Lagrangian formulation. The closest you can get is the forces of constraint using the Lagrange multiplier formalism.

Sorry to be seemingly in resourceful but are there any links to something like that? Googling gets me Langrangian multipliers which I'm not sure is what I need, last I recalled that was a multi variable optimization method. Or is this indeed what I should be looking at?

Lagrange multipliers, like I mentioned before, deal with constrained optimization. The constraints, for a physical system, usually come in the form of constraint forces (e.g. the normal force), which are about as close to "external forces" in the sense that you are talking that I can think of.

Ok I see, thank you very much!

Related to Lagrangian and External Forces

1. What is a Lagrangian?

A Lagrangian is a mathematical function that is used in classical mechanics to describe the dynamics of a physical system. It is defined as the difference between the kinetic and potential energy of the system.

2. How is the Lagrangian used in physics?

The Lagrangian is used to find the equations of motion for a physical system, by minimizing the action principle. This allows us to understand the behavior and evolution of a system over time.

3. What are external forces?

External forces are forces that act on a physical system from outside the system. These forces can include things like gravity, friction, or electromagnetic forces.

4. How are external forces incorporated into the Lagrangian?

External forces are incorporated into the Lagrangian by adding them as terms in the equations of motion. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the system, as it takes into account all forces acting on it.

5. What is the significance of the Lagrangian in physics?

The Lagrangian is significant because it provides a more elegant and powerful way to understand the dynamics of a physical system compared to traditional Newtonian mechanics. It also allows for the incorporation of constraints and non-conservative forces, making it applicable to a wide range of systems.