How Do Swimsuits Influence Laminar Flow and Reduce Drag?

In summary, the speaker is a student working on a project about swimsuits and their effects on buoyancy, flow, and drag. They plan to conduct experiments using a heavy ball wrapped in swimsuit material, but are unsure how to measure the flow around the swimsuit. They have also read that swimsuits can help create laminar flow, but do not understand why and how to prove it in their experiment. They ask for help and are advised to research the mechanism used by dolphins to reduce drag while swimming.
Fairytales
Hi

I’m student at a french university, I have to present a project about swimsuit and I must carry out experiments. I’ve decided to work on the buoyancy of swimsuits, the flow around it and drag. To measure drag, I think I’ll drop a heavy ball wrapped in swimsuit material in the water and take measures. Then I’ll do the same with just the ball and compare the results.

But I have a problem concerning the flow. I’ve read from a swimsuit manufacturer website that swimsuits help create laminar flow. And that’s what I don’t understand: Why ? And how can I prove it in an experiment ? I know it’s all about fluid mechanics but I haven’t studied that yet.

Thank you so much for your help ^^

Physics news on Phys.org
The reduce the skin friction this delaying the transition from laminar to turbulent flow. If you want some insight look up the mechanism dolphin skin uses to reduce their drag while they are swimming.

What is laminar flow?

Laminar flow is a type of fluid flow in which the particles of the fluid move in parallel layers with little to no mixing between the layers. This type of flow is characterized by smooth and predictable movement, with no turbulence or eddies.

How does laminar flow affect swimsuit design?

Laminar flow can affect the drag and resistance experienced by a swimmer while wearing a swimsuit. A swimsuit designed for laminar flow can reduce drag and improve a swimmer's performance in the water.

What materials are best for creating laminar flow in swimsuits?

Materials that are smooth and have low surface roughness, such as silicone or polyurethane, are best for creating laminar flow in swimsuits. These materials help to reduce drag and promote laminar flow around the body.

Can swimsuits be designed for both laminar and turbulent flow?

Yes, swimsuits can be designed to have both laminar and turbulent flow properties. For example, some swimsuits may have textured areas that promote turbulent flow in certain areas, while other areas are designed for laminar flow to reduce drag.

Are there any regulations or rules regarding laminar flow in swimsuit design?

Currently, there are no specific regulations or rules regarding laminar flow in swimsuit design. However, governing bodies in competitive swimming, such as FINA, may have guidelines for swimsuit materials and construction to prevent unfair advantages for swimmers.