Language Learning and Cultural Identity: A Finnish Scientist's Perspective

By55
How did you find PF?
Heard about this site from a friend that got some help for her homework
I think the title speaks for itself, I am from a country that half of the planet doesn't know exists. Iäm a typical finn that is socially so akward that wont go to the common tutor meeting to get help, but rather goes online and spends way too long on simple problems.,

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. We'll be happy to help you out. :smile:

Just be sure to show your best efforts to work on the problems that you post here in the schoolwork forums, and you will get lots of good help. Enjoy PF! :smile:

Likes By55
Yeah, it's a shame that my knowledge in material and their behaviour won't be that usefull on other peoples problems on this forum. Would love to give back to the forum if I get help.

By55 said:
How did you find PF?: Heard about this site from a friend that got some help for her homework

I think the title speaks for itself, I am from a country that half of the planet doesn't know exists. Iäm a typical finn that is socially so akward that wont go to the common tutor meeting to get help, but rather goes online and spends way too long on simple problems.,
Hello and :welcome:

from a Kaurismäki fan (both) a little southwest of Helsinki!

Likes By55
Tervetuola*, from a fellow Finn. Though I was born in the U.S., my grandparents were all from Finland.
I also tend towards the Finnish end of the social interaction scale. At least in Finland, it is the considered the norm, unlike here.

* Unfortunately, my Finnish doesn't go too much further than this. I know some of the basics, but my vocabulary is very limited. I could ask someone if they speak English, for example(Though there wouldn't be much point to it, because if they did, they would have understood you if you asked in English.)

Likes By55
Janus said:
Tervetuola*, from a fellow Finn. Though I was born in the U.S., my grandparents were all from Finland.
I also tend towards the Finnish end of the social interaction scale. At least in Finland, it is the considered the norm, unlike here.

* Unfortunately, my Finnish doesn't go too much further than this. I know some of the basics, but my vocabulary is very limited. I could ask someone if they speak English, for example(Though there wouldn't be much point to it, because if they did, they would have understood you if you asked in English.)
Nice to see Finland represented here so widely. What is comes to languages I can also tell that my English is so messed up because my studies are basicly 50/50 in Finnish and english. So the terminology is all over the place.

Likes Janus
By55 said:
How did you find PF?: Heard about this site from a friend that got some help for her homework

I think the title speaks for itself, I am from a country that half of the planet doesn't know exists.
A few years ago, we had Finlandia by Sibelius at The Last Night of the Proms:

Sibelius Violin Concerto and Second Symphony are two of my favourite pieces.

Likes By55
PeroK said:
A few years ago, we had Finlandia by Sibelius at The Last Night of the Proms:

Sibelius Violin Concerto and Second Symphony are two of my favourite pieces.

Finlandia is one of the greatest finnish masterpieces to date. It is something that every finn can recognise and has a special place in your culture and history

Welcome!

By55 said:
I am from a country that half of the planet doesn't know exists.
LOL, Here in Silicon Valley we definitely know about Finland. I've worked with some excellent Finnish engineers. I'd guess they all worked for Nokia at some time.

Unironically I have met people that doesn't know about FInland, or the nordics anyways. But They probably aren't the people working at Silicon Valley.

By55 said:
Unironically I have met people that doesn't know about FInland, or the nordics anyways. But They probably aren't the people working at Silicon Valley.
Not at all surprising. There are many Americans that have poor education about the rest of the world; or maybe just a poor education.

https://media.nationalgeographic.org/assets/file/NGS-Roper-2006-Report.pdf

By55 said:
Nice to see Finland represented here so widely. What is comes to languages I can also tell that my English is so messed up because my studies are basicly 50/50 in Finnish and english. So the terminology is all over the place.
The sad part is that is that both my parents spoke Finnish, but didn't pass it on to us kids. If they had, I likely would be fluent in both.( though, as my Mom learned when she went back to visit relatives in the '70's, there had been some slight changes in usage from when Her parents left. For example, a word she had learned to mean "smell" in general, now was used for "stink". )

1. What is the relationship between language learning and cultural identity?

The relationship between language learning and cultural identity is complex and intertwined. Language is not only a means of communication, but also a key aspect of one's cultural identity. The language(s) we speak shape our worldview, values, and beliefs. Learning a new language can open up new perspectives and help us better understand and appreciate different cultures.

2. How does language learning impact one's cultural identity?

Language learning can have a significant impact on an individual's cultural identity. As we learn a new language, we are exposed to new cultural norms, customs, and ways of thinking. This can lead to a shift in our cultural identity as we incorporate new elements into our own identity and adapt to the cultural context of the new language.

3. Can language learning help preserve cultural identity?

Yes, language learning can play a crucial role in preserving cultural identity. In many cases, language is a key aspect of a culture that is passed down from generation to generation. By learning and using the language, individuals can help to keep their cultural traditions and heritage alive.

4. How does a Finnish scientist's perspective differ from others when it comes to language learning and cultural identity?

A Finnish scientist's perspective on language learning and cultural identity may differ from others due to the unique cultural and linguistic context of Finland. As a bilingual country with both Finnish and Swedish as official languages, language learning and cultural identity are highly valued and intertwined in Finnish society. Additionally, Finland has a strong emphasis on education and scientific research, which may shape a scientist's perspective on these topics.

5. What are some potential challenges for individuals learning a new language and navigating a new cultural identity?

Learning a new language and navigating a new cultural identity can be challenging for individuals. Some potential challenges include language barriers, cultural misunderstandings, and feeling like an outsider in a new cultural context. It can also be difficult to balance maintaining one's own cultural identity while adapting to a new one. However, with an open mind and willingness to learn, these challenges can be overcome and can lead to personal growth and a deeper understanding of different cultures.